Thursday, February 14, 2013

Wal*Mart Bag Blue and The Tale of The Toenails

Getting married involves a lot of formality and plenty of ritual.  As much as we think we won't become swept up in the wedding planning and execution mania of all things wedding, most of us do to some extent.  I can't say I was an exception.  I hope I didn't go overboard, but I did do many of the traditional things like have a long, white-ish dress, exchange vows and rings with my future husband and have a big-ole' bash afterwards with friends and family to celebrate.

One of the things that seems so silly, but is also so easy is to comply with is the "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue (and a hay-penny in my shoe)" rhyme.  My mother had saved a hay-penny from our trip to England from when I was eight, and the others I could accomplish with nod to the rules by combining the requirements together.

For instance, I "borrowed" an "old" "blue" bottle of nail polish from my best friend since childhood and I painted my toenails so I would have three of the criteria met.  I had a new wedding dress, right?  So with the hay-penny in my shoe from mom, I was covered.

After our wedding in December I kept the toenail polish on my toes, what with it being winter and cold and hey, I just plain like blue toenail polish.  Did I mention what type of blue it was?  It was a milky-colored, steel blue that I couldn't quite place when my best friend and I bought it years ago at Wal*Mart.  That is, until we got to the check out counter and the cashier put our newly purchased bottles of polish in a Wal*Mart bag that was an identical color match.  I have no idea what the true color of the polish is, because it will always and forever be called, "Wal*Mart Bag Blue" to us.

So time goes by and my toenails grow ever so slowly.  It's the end of January and can it be?  Could I possibly be pregnant this quickly?  I turned out I was pregnant, but three days later at barely five weeks I have a miscarriage.  Many of my friends and family were worried I was upset.  And yes, it was a sad event.  But I was just turning forty and I had found out not two months after getting married I had been fortunate enough to get pregnant, when the average time to get pregnant at my age was eighteen months. So while I was sad, I was also happy that things in my reproductive region were working as designed. 

And my toenails were still blue (or at least bits of them were.)  Could it be possible that I'd still have the toenail polish on when I got pregnant again?  Well, I was going to try.  And two months later I found out I was pregnant a second time.  And there was just a tiny bit of toenail polish left, even with my slow growing toenails, after four-and-a-half months.  Here's a picture the day I found out about the pregnancy:


So here I was old, my toes were blue, but I had something new coming, which turned out to be my little boy.  An unexpected result from a silly little rhyme and ritual so many of us play out on the day we get married.

The Big Boy Update:  "A  B  C ...  A  B  C ... R  R  Cheese"  This was the version of the ABC song my son was singing the other day.  My husband heard it and thought it was great.  Apparently, those three lines were sung over and over.  Then, in the car going to school the next day, I was treated to my own private hearing of his special ABC song, just the same as my husband had heard the day before.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  How could you leave me?  She is a social girl.  She does not like being left, even if she was leaving you in the first place.  We don't encourage these fits of anger, and we do our best not to laugh, but her message is clear.  She wants to be where the action is.

Fitness Update:  Second day of lessons and I think, I hope, I can ski now. I did a harder green at the end of our lesson today and went back with some family after lunch and did it with more ease. Also, the ski instructor said the amount of calories you burn in the cold at the higher altitude is significantly more. Which is good, because I'm eating a lot.

Someone Once Said:  "I came, I saw, she conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.).

No comments:

Post a Comment