Thursday, February 21, 2013

I'm Going Faster Than Those People Passing Me

It felt so fast when I was skiing.  I was just going zoooooom down the mountain at, literally, breakneck speeds.  I realize I wasn't going that fast, but it felt like it was fast to me.

Over my five days of skiing I got better and more comfortable and I was able to go faster without feeling like I was out of control.  And then I noticed something.  I noticed that lots of people were passing me.  I noticed those people passing me looked like they were gently gliding down the hill.  They looked like they were having a nice, slow, comfortable ski down the mountain.  So how was it that I was going so much "faster" while being passed at the same time?

Once I realized I had a perception versus experience anomaly going I kept looking for it and it kept happening.  I would feel like the wind was screeching by my ears and nose and the lady passing me at a more steep angle of descent, looked like she was out in the park on a sunny day waltzing down the mountain at her leisure.

The Big Boy Update:  New potty upstairs.  I got a second potty and put it upstairs in their room.  He's getting better at going, as is his sister.  He's currently napping in underpants.  I wonder if he'll wake up wet or dry?  Did I mention he decided to sleep in his sister's bed?  Maybe he has plans for it.


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Hand washing...for an hour.  We just had parent teacher conferences for our children at their school.  We found out my daughter likes to wash her hands.  It's not just a matter of standing in front of the sink, it's a whole process, which did involve one day of trying to eat the soap, but she has the hang of it and sometimes, apparently, she will wash her hands for an hour. 

Fitness Update:  3.5 miles, in a hurry.  My neighbor had to last minute cancel this morning so when it got light I did a short run and worked on speed.  It is much harder to shave time off your miles than it is to add miles.  But I did make progress.

Someone Once Said:  You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment