Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It's That Catch Up Time Again

The Baby Dream
It's the middle of the night and you wake up in the middle of a very strange dream and at that point you realize the dream is completely ridiculous.  Or at least that's how my dreams usually go.  In this particular dream I was at the hospital about to give birth to another baby when I uncovered a nefarious plot the hospital had to put paitents into a plane and fly them off to a secret location so they--and here's where everything gets sketchy--won't be able to pay their medical bills?  Or maybe they freed up hospital beds for other, more critical patients, or perhaps there was a big party with balloons and cake; I'm not sure.  At any rate, I was warned by another patient and managed to dodge the whole situation.  I delivered the baby, which turned out to be a son.  And then I woke up and was suddenly panicked because another child?  Just when I'm getting the two potty trained?!

The Filthy Cars
I feel rather bad writing about this because it's really a matter of personal preference, but I met with the unexpected yesterday.   We had some staff out at school and I was asked if I could help with the pick-up times by walking children out to their cars and putting them in their car seats.  My husband and I keep a rather tidy house.  We dislike dirty for the most part and our tolerance level for dirt all over the floor and seats of our cars is, apparently, very low.  When our car is dirty and our car seats slimy from general toddlerness we have them cleaned.  I've always figured our car was on the dirtier side when compared to other families.  And then I helped out yesterday.  Oh my word.  Wow.  It is quite possible we have the cleanest car and most spotless car seats of anyone in our school if what I saw was any indication yesterday. 

Warm is Better Than Cold
I dislike being cold.  My hands are cold right now and I'm wanting to be done writing this so I can go get a hot beverage and hold on tightly to the ceramic mug for warmth.  I was worried about being cold on the ski trip, so I brought lots of clothes and I layered up every morning like I was a human-sized onion with layer after layer of heat-retaining garments designed to keep out the brrr.  Once I was out on the mountain, I didn't notice the cold.  In fact, I didn't notice I wasn't cold at all until my nephew mentioned his hands were cold.  Let's get this straight, when it comes to being cold, I'm a wimp and a whiner.  Had I been cold, I don't think I would have skied for as long or done as well as I did.  So yay winter gear.  Go thermal underwear.  And hip hip hooray for gore tex. 

Green Circle, Blue Square
Have you ever noticed that people who ski and ski well like to tell you they ski "Black Diamonds?"  Have you also noticed that those of us who don't ski so well never say "I've been skiing those green circles all day."  Or, when we get a little bit better and brave a harder slope, do you hear people saying, "Goodness me, that blue square I did this morning was very challenging."   Are the black-slope-skilled skiers showing off by using the full categorization of the slope, or, is it just fun to say "black diamond?"

The Big Boy Update:  My list of things he's done recently is getting long.  Here are some updates in brief.  He can swing the heck out of a golf club.  My husband says he has "a great swing" and since daddy used to be a professional golfer, I'm sure he can tell a good swing from a bad swing.  So far, my daughter's skull has not been dented.  We went to the mall and there are those cars/vehicles/money sucker machines the children love because you put two quarters in them and they move a bit for a minute or two.  The other day he was getting on them one after another saying "Need coins."  He doesn't really care at this age if they move or not, but he knows that the can move if you happen to have coins.  And this morning on the way to school an ambulance passed us.  I don't remember one ever passing us with the sirens going before.  It was hardly visible when it honked the horn to ask for clearance.  But he saw those flashing lights, said "ambulance!"  and then as it passed us (without any sirens wailing) my son said "Weeeooooweeeeooooweeeoooo/."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Her very first sentence.  This is a bit of a cheat, but my husband is of the opinion it counts and I'm starting to agree with him.  "Happa buh daa too yuuu."  She is getting much more clarity in the words and even a stranger would most likely guess what she's saying.  And boy does she say it.  All you need to do is hint at the birthday song and she's off and singing for a good while.

Fitness Update:  Crummy weather involving lots of rain and I haven't done anything in days.  My legs are starting to complain.

Someone Once Said:   The authority of a commanding office almost never requires force.

No comments:

Post a Comment