Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Where Does The Time Go?

I sleep.  I eat.  I feed children.  I change diapers.  I sit in front of the potty and read books to my children.  I run.  I write this blog.  Once a month I spend some time putting up pictures of my children on their web sites.  Oh, laundry and dishes.  How could I forget those daily time-consuming things.  I tidy.  Good grief, do I tidy.  Shopping for food and other needs.  Ah yes, I wash myself.  That's important.  Being clean.  I wash the children too because they seem to get food all over themselves regularly.

And then the day is over.  And I look back and I'm not sure where the time went.  Notice in that list that I don't even have, "I played with the children."  Mostly because I encourage the children to play with each other and be independent.  And they are, and I do play with them, and that is a joy.

So this being a homemaker thing, which is something I never ran down or thought was anything other than a valued, important role or career, is a sight more time-consuming that I'd imagined.

There is no time for soap operas.  Then again, I'd rather watch Morgan Freeman narrate a documentary any day over a soap opera.  There is no time to hang out and eat bon bons.  The day is packed, and it's packed with little things that tend to stack up if you don't keep on top of them.

I love my job.  But it's busier than I would have predicted two years ago.

The Big Boy Update:  Still not feeling well.  He's had a fever on and off for the past several days.  Today, we took him to the doctor to make sure there wasn't anything of concern other than fighting off something his little baby boy body got exposed to.  It's not strep, and he doesn't appear to have an ear infection and his white blood cell count is in the normal range.  He has a runny nose, so it could be a summer cold.  He also was given the Measles, Mumps, Rubella vaccination a week ago and even though vaccinations are crippled versions, he could be working through his immunity.  So far, his sister shows no signs of what he's got.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Cruise mode.  While in the doctor's office waiting room, she stood up and began to push around a small table toy.  She got the hang of this assisted-walking very quickly and spent a lot of time (because you've got loads of time when waiting in waiting rooms, right?) pushing the table all around the room.  She'd never done this at home.  We didn't have the right item with the right amount of resistance for her to succeed.  When we got home, we brought down a walker toy to the basement for her to keep practicing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment