Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bed Spread or Comforter?

There is a difference.  At least in my mind.  A comforter is a fluffy thing that goes on top of the sheets.  A bed spread is a less-fluffy thing that goes on top of the sheets.  Okay, that's not a huge distinction, but it's a definite, clearly-defined difference in my mind.

It seems to me that people prefer one over the other.  A quilt would qualify as a "bed spread" in my mind; while a down-filled duvet is the most comfortery version of a comforter.  The bed spread is less thick, but not necessairly lighter.  In fact, a good bed spread may be significantly heavier than a comforter.

Since I was old enough to have a preference, I've liked a comforter over a bed spread.  As a child growing up, I managed to wear out (or wreck) a good number of comforters over the years.  I have very fond memories of two of them though.  And that's because they were satin.

Satin?  It sounds like a strange thing to have on your bed.  Covering your bed from side-to-side, top-to-bottom, with slippery satin all over sounds strange.  You would most likely not find a satin comforter in most bed and home goods stores today.  But back when I was a teen, the ability to make satin at a reasonable price must have happened and it came in vogue.  And I had it.

The first comforter was cream.  It was great fun, but it slid off the bed a lot.  The second one, some years later when the cream was more like stained ecru and needed to be replaced, was baby blue.  I loved them both. 

Do they still make satin comforters?  And if they do, are they used in polite society or only on guys beds who want to trap, "the babes?"   Maybe I'll search the internet when I'm done with this post...

The Big Boy Update:  Ice.  He likes ice cream.  But he hasn't made it to the word, "cream" yet.  He will chant, "ice...ice...ice" if he sees you with ice cream and he wants some though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Best little eater.  Just like the proverbial, "Mikey," she will try anything.  Given that she's up for variety of food at this age, I'm up for giving her as many taste sensations and flavors as possible so she'll have broader experiences.  Hopefully she'll like all of those foods when she gets older.  Also, she is getting fat.  Cute, baby rolls of fat.

Fitness Update:  Tired.  Hungry.  Out of town and without my running buddy I did five miles today.  But I didn't run five miles.  That's right, I walked a good bit of it.  And that's strange for me.  It wasn't a particularly hard run, but I just wasn't ready to be running. 

Someone Once Said:  Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment