Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Spelling Crippel


I am such a spelling crippel, er, cripple.  There are typing errors, and there are spelling errors, and lots of them get automatically corrected for me.  In fact, if I type, "teh" and it's not auto-corrected to, "the" for me I think, "harumph, this program needs to catch up with the times."

But it's at a price.  I've never been the best speller.  I never even pondered competing in a spelling bee.  I thought I'd get better over time by using the spell checker tools available.  But I'm not sure it's helped as much as I would have liked.

Surely, some words I now spell correctly that I mispelled for years, but other, chronic misspellings are automatically corrected out from under me so quickly that I don't notice or am in too much of a hurry to go back and investigate.

And I know I still spell poorly, because I've been known to use either Word or Google to figure out how to spell something if I'm writing in a non-corrective location like a thank you note. 

My son is learning language so quickly with new words every day and his understanding of spoken semantic content continues to amaze me given that he just turned twenty months yesterday.  I've had over four decades to learn English and be able to write it well.  You'd think I'd have gotten the hang of it by now.

The Big Boy Update:  Some kind of sick.  We have no idea what he has, but it's upsetting to him.  Upsetting all night with a strange, catch his breath and moan kind of cry that loops in a strange cycle.  After trying lots of things, putting him in bed with us and letting him watch the animated book, The Monster At The End of This Book, he calmed down, began breathing normally and then fell asleep.  In a short time, he'd wake back up, become agitated again and we'd repeat.  He's got a bit of a fever, but the Tylenol is helping that.  He did have a full cup of milk and asked for more and he's now watching television on the couch with the fluffiest, softest blanket in the house. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I see you.  And just so you know, I'm not happy you left me.  In the middle of her brother's long night, I was upstairs getting the Tylenol and Benadryl.  She must have heard me and was looking through the slats of her crib.  When I left the room she suddenly burst into an incensed cry.



No comments:

Post a Comment