Sunday, August 26, 2012

Situations In Which You Shouldn't Be Able To Drive, But Can

Hmm, let's say "illegal" instead of "shouldn't."  I've experienced two of these lately.  And no calling the police on me because I'm writing about it. 

We drive compromised all the time. Yes, we shouldn't be texting while driving.  But we shouldn't be eating french fries or trying to reinsert a pacifier in the child's mouth either or even trying to find a better radio station.  So stipulate that we can and do distract ourselves to various degrees while driving.  Then consider that as a rational person, you can evaluate weather you should be driving or not. 

The first situation I've experienced lately is dilated eyes.  Yeah, I can see, but it's not my standard vision.  I had a dilated eye for an entire week and the other eye was having to do all the work.  Was my vision that bad?  Most likely not.  It was bad based on what my vision normally is.  But... would I have passed the vision test at the DMV if I went in that state?  I'm thinking no.   So I drove with extra care.

The second is nitrous oxide.  The dentist I go to that was so kind to tear out the molar from my jaw used nitrous oxide on me to ease the brutality of the procedure.  I think I napped through part of it.  At any rate, at the end of the procedure they sent me off without even a warning that I might want to wait in the waiting room for a while before driving. 

I suppose nitrous oxide affects people differently, and it does dissipate quickly.  But it takes longer than it does for you to pay the bill to go away.  I walked over to the grocery store and got a few things before driving home.  I think that extra few minutes was important from a safety perspective.

It is called a DWI and the I stands for Impaired.  Still, I'm surprised in some cases you're not given a warning or even required to wait before driving away what with the litigious state of the nation in which we live.

The Big Boy Update:  So many words.  I had a goal to list his new words here, but it's just a torrent now.  He can get a word on the first try sometimes.  Other words, like his name, he's still working on because some sounds are more difficult than others.  And then there are the words you don't know he knows.  He comes out with a very clear usage of a word and then you find out from your mother, or father-in-law, or husband that yes, he's known that word because they taught it to him.  He's also doing more combining of words than ever before.  But my favorite is when he practices words and just flings out words he knows while he's doing something unrelated.  It's random practice and repetition.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She's not tired, she's looking.  She does this really cute thing regularly.  She's crawling and suddenly you think she's just given up for tired because she completely lays down on her stomach.  But she's not tired, she's looking at something.  Maybe she's looking for fluff under the sofa or she's trying to see the dog under the bed.  After a bit of visual inspection, she gets up and keeps going.

Fitness Update:  Two bowls of ice cream.  Recovery from long runs has its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment