Friday, August 24, 2012

The Value of Calories

This weekend at our neighborhood party I got to talking with a neighbor who has experienced similar comments about her weight for years.  We commiserated and we each took away some good ideas from the other.

I like statistics.  Statistics are fun.  I love my heart rate monitor for running.  I don't really need it, most runs, but I find what it tracks interesting.  I like the app and associated web site for Endomondo because it tracks all my workouts and I get even more nifty data about how I'm getting in shape and am much less of a slob than I've been in the pre-pregnancy past.

But my neighbor has me beat.  She works out five days each week.  She does multiple types of exercising through the summer and winter months, and she tracks it all.  Back to 1984.  Yeah, wow, right?

She's maintained the same size for the most part and eats well, but she also loves a good glass of wine or a nice slice of cheesecake.  And what makes her madder than anything is when people tell her, "Well, you're thin, look at you, you can eat anything."  Because she can't and she knows it. She works hard to eat what she wants and keep fit.

She and I talked about the value of calories.  How there are only so many you can fit into your daily intake.  She is a firm believer in only eating what you really want to eat.  Don't like that side dish?  Don't eat it.  Don't want the bread that comes with the meal?  Ask for it to be left off. 

I agreed.   We talked about calories being something you could categorize as either, "no" or "hell yes" and if you're not sure if you want something, see if there's a hell yes option that you do want.

Then I talked about buffets.  Because you can get one little spoonful of something as a taste.  And then you can move right along.  Buffets are so much fun. 

The Big Boy Update:  Carpooling.  Or curbside drop-off and pick-up.  After three days of school, I got a phone call that he is ready to not only go the full three hours, but he can, if we feel comfortable, be drooped off at the curb.  And we are comfortable.  Because who wouldn't love to drive up, have your car door whisked open, your child skillfully removed by a kind teacher and an older student walk him to his room?  He didn't balk at the strange teacher that extricated him from the car.  And he looked interested when another teacher walked him in.  He didn't even look back.  Pick up was just as easy.  I may get jealous if he starts liking these nice teachers more than mommy though...

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  A trustworthy eater.  She's only nine months old, but you can give her just about anything and she will eat it with care.  Okay, not with care, she's a wreck at the end of a meal.  But she has very good judgement in deciding what should be gummed, what can be swallowed whole and what should be spit out.  My choking concern for her is one of high confidence.

Fitness Update:  Twelve miles.  In the dark.  Uphill.  Both ways.  Two of those statements are true.  The other two are fibs.  First, it was twelve miles.  But only the first bit was in the dark.  There were lots of hills yes, but it not both ways.  My neighbor and I wanted to get a long run for our half marathon training regime.  And in order to get in two hours of running when there are children to get to school, you have to start early.  So we ran in the dark, pre-dawn around the neighborhood.  Then we went into the park and ran with the other runners and bikers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment