Thursday, August 9, 2012

And Don't Forget To Scratch...

What is the purpose of itching?  I mean think about it, have you ever been told by a doctor, "And be sure to do a lot of scratching.  In this situation, scratching helps."  No no no, scratching is bad.  Scratching will only make it worse.  Scratching will make it take longer to heal.  So what the heck does itching do for us anyway?

You know I don't look up the answers up on the internet before I write about them.  That would be too easy.  I have to muddle through it myself.

I suppose itching provides an important initial message such as, "get that biting bug off your arm quick, even though it's already bitten you and you're going to be itching for the next two days."  Or, "That thing you're sitting on is scratchy, maybe you should move to a more comfortable surface."

But I can't for the life of me figure out what the purpose of long-term itching is for.  All we do is damage the skin by scratching and trying to make it stop.   Darn histamine reactions.

The Big Boy Update: "I see some red ones, some green ones, and some high up on the shelf ones."  This had me laughing for a good while.  We have a bin of balls my son loves to pour out on the floor.  It's great fun for him for a short period of time and then it's less fun for an adult to clean them up.  Yesterday, after he had dumped them out about three times, my mother said the above statement as she finished cleaning them up and then put the bin on a high shelf.  She was so positive sounding about it he didn't even realize his toys had been taken away.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Head on your shoulder.  No matter how tired, she doesn't put her head on your shoulder as you take her to bed.  If she's sound asleep in the car and you're relocating her to the crib, she's still going to hold her chest and head up in perfect posture until you put her back down.  But in the last few weeks, every so often, including last night, she will put her head on your shoulder as you carry her off to bed.  Sorry, I have to say it... It's so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment