Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Thin Line

I weigh the same now as I did two months ago.  Weekly weigh-ins and I know I'm keeping on track.  "There is no more weight to lose," I tell people.  But I could lose more for someone else.  I could do it now with all the exercise.  Just send over some of your excess pounds and I'll see what I can do while I run around the park.  In the meantime, I'm just going to have a great time eating ice cream and loving buffets because my metabolism can sustain the higher intake.

I did see someone today when I was running that was too thin.  Emaciated looking even.  The kind of thin you worry about when you see on a person.  I've written here about how my frustrations from comments I've gotten—continue to get even—about being thin.  It seems to be appropriate in our society to comment that someone is looking too thin, that they're too skinny, that they should eat more.  While it's an unspoken social taboo to mention to someone that you can tell they've gained weight, that they should, "take off some pounds," should consider their health, etc.

The runner passing me yesterday made me think all sorts of things about her.  When I see an overweight person running by, I cheer them on mentally because I know they're doing something hard.  But I saw her and I thought all sorts of worrysome thoughts; "Is she anexoric?"  "Does she have an eating disorder?"  "Does she think she looks good that way?"  So even I'm not immune to the thoughts of unhealthy weight loss.

I've never been anorexic and I've never once intentionally thrown up food I've eaten because it's an easy way out.  But people keep commenting and I try to handle the comments with grace, even if I'm frothing inside because that's the third time you've mentioned it buster, and saying it in a cajoling manner isn't making it any less insulting.

With the exercise, I'm able to eat lots more.  I like food.  I like talking about food.  I like going to restaurants.  Bit I don't like wondering what people are thinking about me behind my back just because I've been able to lose weight and get in shape.

Am I looking more thin though?  It's a distinct possibility.  I employed the internet last night to look up size comparisons of fat and muscle.  You've undoubtedly heard that muscle weighs more than fat.  A general comparison is that five pounds of fat is about equivalent to three grapefruits in size while five pounds of muscle is closer to three tangerines.  So I may well look more thin.  Oh, and as a bonus, muscle burns a little more in calories per day than the equivalent amount of fat.  How nifty is that?

The Big Boy Update:  Hair cut.  We went the longest ever without getting his hair cut to see how it would look.  It got curls and was cute and then it got to be a real mess.  He is sporting a new style, longer on the top, shorter in the back for the start of school tomorrow.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Holding the bottle?  Well, not all by herself.  But she's interested in it and can hold it.  Although, she likes when you hold it for her.  Unless she's done eating and then she's going to keep holding it away from her mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment