Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pre-prepared

I'm not a big fan of the word proactive.  I think when I started out in business from college it was a big buzz word and it just got burned out in my mind and I try to avoid it.  Avoid the word, not the behavior.

I like to be prepared.  With the children I like to be ready to go places with them and not have to get ready for a half hour before we can leave the house.  You want to go out to dinner to Pei Wei and you just decided three minutes ago?  Sounds fantastic, I'll have the kids ready to go in five minutes.  But that's only possible because I'm pre-prepared to go places with them.

I have a "go bag" that is not small.  It has all sorts of baby things in it including lots of diapers, wipes, heck even swim diapers, a change of clothes for each child and a pair of shoes for my son who can walk places and may need them in case we sweep him into the car and forget that he's shoeless.  But most importantly, it has food.  Plenty of food for both children for a meal and a bib for each.

So when it's time to go out, I go to the refrigerator and grab the sippy cup for my son that's also pre-prepared and a bottle of juice for my daughter that's ready too.  I stick them in the go bag and then all we need to do is pack the children in the car. 

I like being able to go out at a moment's notice.  Maybe that's because I like going out.  When we return home, we do a "reset" of the go bag.  That involves restocking, replacing and swapping for clean so that the bag is sitting in it's spot, prepared for action. 

I don't think pre-prepared is a word.  My spell checker says it isn't.  But I don't care.

The Big Boy Update:  Left-handed?  We're not sure.  We never give him anything with a particular hand in mind.  When he eats, we use two spoons many times because we want him to be able to feed himself, but we also shove some into his mouth between his less-effective feeding.  So sometimes he ends up with two spoons.  He seems to have started favoring the left hand for things like feeding himself.  He's young and that's only in the realm of food, so we'll have to wait and see how his handedness pans out.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Teeth grinding on the tub.  Imagine your cute little girl crawling over to the tiled tub.  Imagine her standing up and then imagine her intentionally, repeatedly, chewing and grinding her teeth on the edge of that tub.  She is teething we know, but it's still singular that she will head directly for the tub, stand up and chomp down on the edge, and has done this multiple times over the past week.  The tile can't be all that flavorful.

Fitness Update:  I ran eight miles this afternoon.  It was hot.  I shouldn't have been running faster than I normally run in the mornings when it's cool.  And I should have been running slower because I went, "the hateful route" as I like to call it, due to some steep, hilly sections.  But I did.  Not only did I run the first two "hateful" miles faster, I kept running faster through the remaining six.  Maybe I need to run in the heat more?  Or start out with tiring hills?  Or maybe I'm still tired when I run in the morning.  More research to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment