Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I Can Has Cheezburger?

If the title of this post makes no sense, then you have missed out on an internet craze: pictures of cats with funny, misspelled quotes over their heads.  Penny, from The Big Bang Theory summarized it best when she said: "They're cute, and they can't spell... because they're cats."  Check out icanhas.cheezburger.com if you want to see the silliness that got started long ago with a picture of a hopeful looking cat captioned, "I can has cheezburger?" 

And that is totally unrelated to what I wanted to write about in this post except that that phrase ran through my mind today.

I don't like hamburgers.  Or cheeseburgers.  Okay, cheeseburgers are better than hamburgers because of the cheese.  And we all know just about everything can be improved with a bit of cheese.  But still, I don't crave hamburgers.  I don't order them at restaurants.  I am always disappointed when I look at a menu and see over half of the items offered varying versions of hamburgers.  I don't dislike hamburgers, they're just last on my list of things I'd order.  So last, that I always find something else I want first.

Until yesterday.  Instead of my nuggets at McDonalds, I ordered the two cheeseburger meal.  Now my go-to order when I'm not in the mood for nuggets is the Fish Filet.  But cheeseburgers?  How odd.  I thought maybe I was trying something else so I could give my son and daughter a taste, but in thinking back now, I think I just wanted the cheeseburgers.

Then today we ate at Red Robin.  Talk about most of your menu being burgers.  Uncharacteristically, I read through the whole list of burger offerings.  And then I did the unexpected, I ordered one.  I had it on good authority from my niece that the bacon cheeseburger was good.  And oh, it was.  It was very good.

But I don't normally like or crave burgers.  In my mind its like ordering blah menu item number twelve or blah menu item number twelve with cheese.  And yet two days in a row I ordered cheeseburgers.  Exercise-based craving for protein?   I had run the last two mornings with me neighbor and in the afternoon with Uncle Jonathan for a total of seventeen miles in less than two days, so I'm guessing I needed it in some way.  Either way, the burgers were exactly what I wanted and I really enjoyed them.

The Big Boy Update:  Find the yes.  Some advice from another parent about children my son's age was to, "find the yes."  It's an age where they can get into everything they're not suppose to get into and they can break things or hurt themselves.  One of the things they hear all day long from adults is "no."  So it's important to find a way to say yes to things too.  It's also when they learn to say no to everything.  At this point, I'd like to find a yes from him.  Any question you ask him, anything at all, and his answer is, "noo!"   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Ready, Set, Gooooooooo.   Both babies were in the tub tonight and my husband and I were playing a game with my son in which we tried to empty cups quickly.  We would say, "Ready...set...go!" and pull our cups rapidly out of the water.  He got the hang of it after a few times.  Then we noticed my daughter was saying, "ooooooooooo" with us while said. "goooooo" and drained our cups.  She did it every time.  She was watching us carefully and her timing was right on. 

Someone Once Said:   Don’t ever become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct more of the time, but an optimist has more fun – and neither can stop the march of events.

No comments:

Post a Comment