Monday, August 13, 2012

Lifelong Habits (or How Not Rinsing is Not Possible)

With the recently pulled tooth, the dentist suggested I get a tube of this strong fluoride toothpaste they sell at their office.  It has been shown to fortify teeth and is well worth the more expensive tube cost.  You only use it once per day.  But there's a catch.  You don't rinse.

That's right, you brush, expectorate (I spit, but the tube calls it expectorate) and then you just wander off and do the rest of your adult-type activities or just go to bed.

But my brain doesn't remember to not do something it's done for four decades.  You "expectorate" and then you rinse.  I've unknowingly filled the cup and have rinsed before I realize, "NO, you moron, you just washed out the good stuff that needed to hang out and make your teeth all shiny and new."

So it looks like I'm going to have bad teeth because I can't seem to break my rinsing habit.

The Big Boy Update:  Paw-pa.  Yes, he can say, Grandpa now!  When we're swinging out on his, "park" he and I practice words.  "Gramps" is still the krrscch sound with the point to his stomach action, but he can now say Grandpa.  It has variants, sometimes it's very distinctly, "papa" and sometimes it's "paw-pa" but he's saying it consistently.  I hear Grandpa is coming for a visit this weekend.  Maybe he'll show off when Grandpa arrives?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  First word.  Yes, she has her first repeatable, used in the correct situation, word.  It is... "uh oh"  My husband had said he'd heard her say it several times but it was hard to believe that was her first word.  But so it is.  And in thinking about it, it makes total sense as her brother says it non-stop all day long. 

Fitness Update:  This morning, Uncle Jonathan ran for the first time with my neighbor, Eleanor and me.  This is my neighbor that I'm training for the "Half Marathon of Are You Out Of Your Mind?" race.  I had warned him that she and I were very chatty.  He said at the end of the run, after getting almost no chance to speak the whole time, that while he'd never seen Desperate Housewives, he had imagined it to be a lot like our runs, with us talking about all sorts of things non-stop that were probably things only women would care about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment