Saturday, April 7, 2012

Potholes Cause Cancer

I think of this strange phrase often when I eat at McDonalds.   Okay, let's get real here, who actually eats at McDonalds?  It's more like when I drive through and get McDonalds and eat it in the car.  That's when the, "Potholes can cause cancer" phrase pops into my head.

When I was very young, McDonalds came out with Chicken McNuggets.  My best friend and I loved them.  They were perfectly suited to children.  We loved the sweet and sour sauce too.  My father, ever the skeptic, questioned the probable preservatives and overall healthiness of anything McDonalds.  He warned us that we'd better be careful of what we ate because we might show up with cancer someday.

As young children, we knew of cancer, but we weren't the slightest bit worried about it.  We didn't believe him.  We began to question him about other foods.  He is a knowledgeable guy, he explained how so many things, in the wrong quantities, could be very harmful.  When we came up with more and more crazy ideas we even found out you could die from drinking too much water.  This is the kind of helpful dad I have.

We finally stumped him though.  We came up with something that he couldn't tie to cancer or health as we drove home and went over a big pothole.  "Potholes don't cause cancer!" we both yelled from the back seat.

To this day, when I eat chicken McNuggets with sweet and sour sauce, I remember our triumphant cry when we realized we'd stumped him.

The Big Boy Update:  No socks.  His feet have itched him for as long as I can remember.  We've been hesitant to let him go without socks because the last several times we have, he's scratched his feet raw in spots.  But over the last two days, we've done some tests and not only is he not scratching his legs in shorts, he's not trying to tear up his ankles.  Just in time for spring and shorts weather too. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Eating her feet.  She likes to play with her feet.  She is most exuberant about her feet when she's on the changing table.  Lately, she's even been trying to eat her right foot.  She's so happy about it, I almost hate for changing time to be over.

Right-size Countdown:  4.2 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment