Friday, April 13, 2012

The Body Amazing

The body is an amazing thing.  Over eat and it stores the excess as fat.  Under eat and those fat stores are called up and converted to energy.  And the body does this without us thinking about it or even asking it to.  Especially the storing of fat.  The body excels at storing excess calories as fat, especially when we don't want it to.  Right?

Aside from the stomach, which is one of the biggest complainers in the entire body, "Feed me.  I'm hungry again.  I need more food.  Is it dinner time yet?" The rest of our systems do their jobs without much of a fuss. 

Lately, I've been impressed at the body's ability to convert stored fat into accessible calories for use.  I know I'm not giving my body enough food each day for the amount of calories I'm buring.  So my body pulls from my food stores.  The speed at which it does this is impressive. 

I've been doing a lot of exercising in the morning.  I'm burning hundreds of calories by running, walking or biking.  The last time I've usually eaten is the night before at dinner.  And yet I don't feel faint, I have all the energy available to exercise and not feel drained afterwards. 

The body seems to be able to pull from fat stores quickly.  You'd think, being fat cells, they'd be slow.  We got them by overeating and most likely sitting around being lazy if you got them the way I did.  But instead of having to wait for card catalog, run to the stacks to find the book kind of slow, they're solid-state hard drive data access fast.  Ask for the energy and there it is, no waiting, no fuss.

The body seems to trust you too.  It doesn't complain when you want those calories, stat.  It doesn't put up a protest by making you feel unduly tired.  It does't try to stop you from using the fat in the hopes you'll save the reserves for a systemic doomsday scenario in which you might have to go without food in the future. 

The body is impressive.  In so many ways.

The Big Boy Update:  Chase and laugh.  He likes being chased.  It seems like he's mad sometimes.  He runs away as though what you want to do or where you want him to go is just awful.  Tantrum-ish.  But when you catch him, he laughs when you pick him up.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The Tooth is Out There.  She must be getting close to cutting some teeth.  She has started gnawing on anything hard and plastic she can get into her mouth. 

Right-size Countdown:  2.8 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment