Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Next Pound Decade

When you diet, it's nice to celebrate milestones.  And I don't mean celebrating by eating a double cheeseburger.  But marking, in some way, that you're still making progress towards your goal.

When you start dieting, the first pounds drop quickly, you're full of commitment and enthusiam.  And usually, you're part-way to one milestone already.  Say, for instance, you weighed 184 pounds.  When you get into the 170's it's a great feeling.  You've made it into the next "pound decade."

Crazy phrase, "pound decade,"  right?  What do you call it?  Normally, I don't look up things on the internet prior to writing a post here.  It's nice to just muddle something out without having the answers given to you via the web.  But in this case, I did look up possible terms.  Only I was stumped.  What search string do you enter?  "What is the term for losing weight into the next ten-pound range?" 

At any rate, I didn't find an alternate term, so I made one up.  For marking time, each ten years is called a decade.  And when you're dieting, it feels like a decade until you lose that next ten pounds.  So, it seemed like a resonable term. 

Lots of times, like in the example above, the first pound decade is easy.  It's early on, and you only have part-way to go to get to the next marker.  Then, you have a full ten pounds to make the next pound decade,  That one is harder, and usually takes a good bit longer.

Yesterday, I made it into the last pound decade before I reach my goal.  I didn't have that much to lose in comparison to lots of dieters, but it has been a lot of effort both physically and mentally to get here.  I have tremendous respect and empathy for those that are trying to lose five, six, even more pound decades.

The Big Boy Update:  No hats, shoes please.  He hates wearing hats.  Or sunglasses, or anything in the head region.  But he likes shoes.  Some babies delight in taking both shoes and socks off, despite their parent's desperate need to have them wear them.  My son likes to wear shoes, likes when you put them on and even tries to help.  He also likes to put your shoes on.  Only he's confused at the order things happen.  He tries to pull your foot to the shoe, even if that means you have to rotate your foot into an untenable position.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Who's that girl?  She is growing so fast.  My sister-in-law went on a short trip and came back three days later.  She said she looks physically larger and even more mature in just three days.  I swear, this morning she looks like she's changed again overnight.  Her face looks more little girl-like and less baby-like than yesterday.

Right-size Countdown:  3.6 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment