Thursday, April 12, 2012

Narrowly Defining

Did you know what you wanted to find in a partner when you were younger?  Did you have a list of all the things he or she had to be to be your perfect mate? I never had a list. I didn't even know where to begin to make a list.

In school people would talk about how they wanted a tall guy, or how the girl had to love sports. I couldn't come up with anything that I felt was a requirement. Each person I had dated was different in their own way. The things that made that person someone I was attracted to wasnt something I could put down in a list. You can't take a random collection of ingredients and cook up the perfect guy. So I never made a list.

It didn't hinder me in any way in finding the perfect guy for me.

Recently I was with my mother and Jamie Lee Curtis was being interviewed. She said she always told her girlfriends they needed to figure out their "top three". If you figure out what your top three things are, you can use them to your advantage. Her top three were her high-energy level, her figure and her long neck.

The next day my mother asked me what I picked for my top three. It reminded me of the days back in school. I just didn't know. I could list positive features I had, but I just didn't know what made one asset more important than another. Is being organized one of my most valuable assets, or is that more annoying than of value? Is my exuberance for international cuisine a good thing or frustrating to someone who likes American food?

It seems to my that any asset can also be a hindrance. A man who is in good shape is a good thing, but what if to stay in shape he's off mountain climbing and running marathons all the time? Things can be both good and bad at the same time. To say something is on the important or top list seems to narrowly define something. I suppose I like options more than constraints.

The Big Boy Update: Hoses.  He loves hoses.  Anything hosey, he is interested in.  The pool cleaning hose, the garden hose, the vacuum cleaner hose. He ca be entertained for longer than you'd expect a sisteen-month-old to be entertained when it comes to hoses.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: No thank you, I don't need a nap.  Yes you do.  No, I don't.  Blast.  She's a touchy one.  She naps, but not for long.  She sometimes won't nap at all.  But we get paid back by her sleeping very well all night long, no help needed.

Right-size Countdown: 3.8 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment