Saturday, February 20, 2021

The Things We Do For Children

I was never a doll person as a child.  I had a few when I was very young, of particular note the one that you fed and then the food came out into her diaper a short while later.   It seems like her name was Betsy Wets and something but that could be way off.   Barbies I didn't spend much time on at all.   What I do remember though was the hair.   Doll hair was dreadful.   Ir started out long but little hands with little scissors performing stylish haircuts made for a nearly bald doll not much time later.  There were only so many stylish haircuts you could do before you had no hair left. 

The other part about doll hair was the fallout.   I just didn't stay in well.   The brush would get filled with unbending, stringy hair that got all over the floor and was internally hard to pick up.   These days, doll hair is very good at staying put so that problem has gotten better.   The hair is denser and can be styled more easily.   Unfortunately, children aren't the most gentle with hair and with synthetic hair being more damage-prone, the long hair turns into a frizzy mess fairly quickly.  

I found a solution to this, and it does fix the problem of frizz and knottiness, but it takes a bit of time.   Which is why tonight, after my daughter had gone to bed, I wondered why I'd ever told my daughter hair reparations were even possible as I held down a nake doll and flat ironed her bright, golden blonde hair. 

The doll is waiting for my daughter at her breakfast table.   Still naked, but with calm, smooth hair, ready for some more styles and subsequent damage. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I like ice cream.  But lately, what we love even more is Cool Whip.   He and I would gladly have a bowl of cool whip over ice cream.   We're going through large tubs of it because it's so light and fluffy and, well, delicious. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is doing something I did for a long time as a child.  She's going around walking on top of her toes, having them curled under.   She's doing this even on the hardwood floors.  She says it feels comfortable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment