Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Saddest Sadist

My son and daughter have a love/hate relationship with each other.   Sometimes they're best friends and sometimes they're arch enemies.   Fairly typical sibling stuff.  My daughter would really like to have her brother be a good friend and a playmate, but he's less interested in spending time with her.   Most days, that is.  And then sometimes, like tonight, they're coming up with all kinds of games and working well together without any conflict. 

I just left the two of them upstairs with a long tug toy and the dog trying to drag them both across the room.   I'd love to have them play with her in this way more often, but they usually don't want to.   My daughter tries to help her brother more than he has an interest in helping her.   For instance, my son was in trouble the other night for not making his lunch.   She jumped in and started yelling up to him and telling me he likes certain things and could I tell her where those things were in the refrigerator so she could make his lunch for him. 

She also wanted to help him the other day and came down to ask me if I could play a song on the Alexa.   She didn't know how to ask for it but she said, "Mom, he said if I could ask you if you could look up 'Dawn of the Saddest' only it's not  spelled that way, it's spelled -ist at the end."   

Well, I started laughing, and I didn't want to tell my daughter what word she'd just spelled considering she and her brother thought it was a different spelling of 'saddest'.  And then I thought about it; they had no connotation or denotation of the word, so why not, I told her how the word was pronounced. 

The Big Boy Update:  As it turned out, the thing my son wanted me to look up wasn't all that bad.   It was music with some cartoonish background to go with the beat.   He had wanted his sister to hear the song.  There was more to it before I found the song, but since he had lost screens, I only let them listen to it with the screen turned off. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I asked my daughter, "do you know why your brother wanted me to look the song up?  She thoughtfully told me, "Oh, I don't know.  How are we women to know the ways of men?"   Where she heard that one, she didn't remember, but it definitely got me laughing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment