Wednesday, February 24, 2021

He'd Be Right

I've ordered this tiny little 3D printer for the children to use.   It connects to a phone or a tablet and the children can pick all sorts of fun things to print, including printing pieces of small people that snap together with different tops, bottoms, heads, headgear, and other options.   You can draw a picture and it prints a 3D representation of the drawing, which I thought would be good for my daughter, but the feature I'm most interested in is the picture mapping. 

You can take any picture and it will turn it into a hills and valleys map that provides a tactile representation of the person or things in the picture.   I thought this would be an interesting feature for my daughter, so I mentioned it to her on the way to pick up my son from school this afternoon. 

I set it up for her, though, saying I wasn't sure if that was something she'd be interested in seeing (feeling.)  I told her a story about a book I had started to read a while back.   It was about a man who had lost his sight around about the time my daughter did.   He had said one thing that surprised him was that people automatically assumed he'd want to feel their faces when he got to know them.   

He likened it to sighted people not needing to know other facts about a person that weren't readily visible. He wasn't interested in what a person's face looked like.   It didn't factor into his mental image of the person at all.   I told my daughter this story and then intentionally ask her anything about how she felt about it because I was interested to see if she volunteered anything.  

She replied almost immediately when I stopped talking, "he'd be right."   I asked her if that meant that people's faces weren't important to her.   I asked her what she meant.   She doesn't care about people's faces, she said. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son spent a lot of time in the bonus room after school creating a game with paper and his colored pencils.  My husband didn't want to interrupt his creativity so he let him stay up later than normal.  He still hasn't read the three books that will get him some screen time back.   I don't mind. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has some tight spaces between her teeth.   he has been trying to see how many flossers she can break before she gets all her teeth flossed.   I told her it was an admirable goal, but only if she wanted to use her allowance money to buy replacement flossers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment