Sunday, June 24, 2018

Sudden Death

My husband played in the club championship today.   There is a history with him and another player, Austin.   They’re the two best amateur players at our club and every year it ends up with the two of them down to the last hole on who the champion will be.

Three years ago my husband lost to Austin in sudden death after being tied after two days and rounds of golf.   Two years ago the same thing happened—exactly.   Last year my husband was going to win, he said.  It was his plan.   And he did win, but Austin had some additional challenges because his clubs were lost by an airline and didn’t arrive until the second round of golf.  

So my husband won, but it wasn’t Austin’s best golf last year.  This year it was tight up until the last hole and again, they tied on the eighteenth hole after two rounds.  So back to sudden death again.  

I had come to watch him finish and met some new friends with the spectators watching Austin and my husband finish.   There were at least twenty golf carts following them around through their sudden death play.    It was exciting, to be sure, because they played not one hole, but five holes, unable to break the tie until the fifth hole, when Austin won with one less stroke.

I’m not a golfer but apparently it’s fun to watch good players play.   I had a great time talking and meeting some of the other people who had played in the tournament.   My husband is an excellent loser and Austin is a gracious winner.   They’re both friends.  

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Ice Age Conversation:  Blake had taken the children to a park yesterday.   As they got back in the car Blake remarked, “it’s really hot.”  My son exclaimed, “I wish it was an ice age!”  My daughter, trying to be helpful said, “you could go to Antartica?”   My son didn’t miss a beat, firing back, “not in these clothes, baby.”

No comments:

Post a Comment