Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Brain Injury

This post is about a dream I had last night.   I have dreams and sometimes I remember them, but they’re usually not so vivid or frightening.   I woke up, startled by the dream about the time my husband was coming up to bed for the night.   I was groggy but managed to tell him the story, which is why I think I can remember the dream now, otherwise it might have faded from memory as I fell back asleep.

I was working in Hawaii, which is a good way for a dream to start if you ask me.   I drove up and went into the building I worked in but realized I didn’t remember how I got to work.   So I made a call.   I called my high school boyfriend to ask him to help me figure out what was going on.   Bill (who I haven’t seen in decades) told me I was very confused and that I should probably call my husband to see if he could help me.

I decided I’d better go back home, so I went to the parking lot, walked around the back of the blue Tesla Model X, which I remembered was a loaner as mine was being serviced, and as I got to the driver’s side door, a piece of trim came off in my hand.   I looked at it as I walked slowly to the back of the car to find massive damage to the rear end.

Something clicked in my head: I must have been in a car accident.  I had blanks in my recent memory probably because I’d suffered a brain injury.   I was confused and called a boyfriend from thirty years prior instead of my husband.    This wasn’t good.   I should probably call the police or go to the hospital…  Only I wasn’t thinking straight so I got in the car and started driving.

After a while I decided I’d better pull over and call for help because I wasn’t sure I was altogether safe driving.   I pulled up on a busy street area and got out of the car so I could see what the cross street was for when I called for help.

A man walked up to the car, said, “nice car” then quickly jumped in and drove away.  My purse, keys and cell phone were sitting in the passenger seat.  I was in even more trouble now.

As I stood there on the street I had no idea what to do.   Pay phones are few and far between these days and I didn’t have a way to pay to call my husband even if I found one.   And I needed help…or at least I thought I did.   And ugh, cancelling the credit cards and getting a copy of everything in my wallet was going to be a complete hassle.   I just wanted to sit down but there wasn’t anything to sit on.

I think this is when my husband came in the bedroom and I woke up.  I’m rather glad he did.

The Big Boy Update:  Okay, this is the happiest thing I’ve heard in a good while.   Tonight when my children were getting out of the tub, I was drying off my son.   He leaned in and said to me, “I like myself.”   I smiled at him and gave him a big hug.   He then said, “I’ve been changing.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter brings home things she works on in school regularly.   Yesterday she brought home a sheet of paper folded in half with a message inside in green crayon, “Dear Reese, I know that you are blind.  I love you.   Mayra”   My daughter’s braillest had typed up the message over the writing so my daughter could read it.   My daughter liked the card I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment