Tuesday, November 15, 2016

You Don’t Sound Like Mommy

My husband and I flew home from Las Vegas overnight yesterday, arriving mid-morning at home.   We got an update from Nana and Papa on how their five days went with our children (fabulous) and other items we needed to know about food, clothing, mail, etc. before they headed home.   We are so very fortunate to have grandparents who are willing (eager even) to take care of our children while my husband and I galavant off across the country to run in races, gamble and drink beer with friends.

While we were in Las Vegas we had an opportunity yesterday to catch up with long-standing family friends of mine who we haven’t seen in several years.   The conditions under which we met weren’t ideal as their vacation was unexpectedly extended due to their son having unexpected, emergency surgery shortly after they’d enjoyed a Cirque du Soleil’s ‘O’ show at the Bellagio.   Their son is recovering well and we were fortunate to be able to join them for a delightful dinner at a Thai restaurant just across from their hotel last night.

You know you’re getting old when you look at the children of your friend’s and they’ve grown two feet.   You know you haven’t seen them in far too long when you tell their daughter you’re going to give her a hug and she says, “I don’t remember you”—and yet gives you a warm hug anyway.    We left the evening making plans to see each more frequently.   I hope we can do so, although living states apart always makes things more challenging.

Back to arriving at home though.   My husband and I were looking forward to getting in the car to pick up our children after school was over.   We tried to nap because sleeping on a plane is bad at best and not at all at worst.    We got to school and were hoping for excited cries of happiness from our children.   My son, upon seeing us, cried because we weren’t Nana and Papa.   It would appear Nana and Papa did an all together better job of being parents than we normally do.   My son did agree he was happy to see us, but them wanted to make sure it was only nine more days until Thanksgiving because that’s when Nana and Papa had told him they’d be returning.

My daughter got in the car next and squealed her excitement at seeing us, and then talked about all the fun she had with Nana and Papa.   But my children weren’t happy at me.

While I’d been gone my cold had moved from place to place, finally settling in my throat upon which it wreaked havoc on my vocal cords.  My voice was in and out and scratchy when it was in and neither child liked it one bit.   They told me I didn’t sound like Mommy.   My husband and I explained how my throat was a little sick with a cold.   We had them put their hands on their throats and talk to feel how it vibrated so they could feel the part of their body that was sick in me.    In the end, they decided to keep me since I assured them I’d be back to normal in a few days.

The Big Boy Update:  My son took a bit to get over the lack of Nana and Papa after we got home today.   His father and he spent a lot of special time while I went out with his sister.   When we got home they’d built a fort from sticks and balls covered with a blanket.   Then they built a rocket ship fully seven feet tall from straws and connectors Aunt Rebecca, Uncle Dale and Olivia had sent as a present to his sister for her birthday.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and I went shopping to get her favor bag items to hand out at her birthday party this weekend.  On the way home she told me she was planning on marrying her brother and having three or maybe four children.   She thought a little more about it and said maybe she’d marry Silas’s mother instead, and got upset when I told her Silas’s mother was married to Silas’s father.   Then she decided to marry Nana, but again, was disappointed when I pointed out Nana was already married to Papa.   In the end she is going to think out this marriage thing for a bit longer before she makes her final decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment