Sunday, November 13, 2016

Which One Is It?

This afternoon as I was taking a break from very important Las Vegas vacation activities, I thought it might be a good time to call and talk to the children.    I called and my mother-in-law answered.  She  gave me an update on their day and then asked the children if they wanted to talk to me.  

I spoke with my son first.   He was interested in telling me about something that happened…oh, wait, he got distracted and handed the phone over to his sister.   She told me about a few things that happened and then she, too, left the phone to get back to the very important business of being on vacation with Nana and Papa (also, I think they had the iPad at this point).

My mother-in-law talked to me some more as my husband came over.   I asked him if he wanted to talk to the children and he said sure.   My daughter came back on the line and I asked her if she wanted to speak to daddy, to which she said, “yes”.   I gave the phone to my husband who started a conversation with her.

About two responses later he mouthed to me, “which one is it?”   He didn’t know which child was on the line.    This happens to all of us I think.  My daughter and son can and do sound very different, but they can also sound a lot alike.   It’s hard for us as parents to even tell them apart.   The good thing is, they never seem to be bothered if you think it’s the other child, they just laugh and tell you you’ve got it wrong.

The Big Boy Update:  The children went fishing on the lake today with my in-laws.   When they came back to the dock, my son offered to jump out and help tie the boat off.   He doesn’t yet know how to tie the ropes, but he did jump out and help hold the boat to the dock—not bad for a five-year-old.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   While out fishing on the boat today, my daughter’s line got caught under the boat.   This isn’t a good thing as fishing line wrapped around a boat propeller isn’t ideal.   Everyone looked and listened for signs as they moved the boat around to try and free the line.   My daughter heard it against the boat hull she said.  They were able to untangle the line and free the boat and head back to shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment