Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Other Marathon Memories

Just a smattering of things/thoughts from the NYC Marathon on Sunday I didn’t get into the post yesterday…

Busses are loud:  I was trying to nap on the way to start village in the bus.   Have you ever been lulled to sleep by the vibration of the engine in a car or vehicle?   This bus was both loud and shaky.    It also uses fossil fuels.   Someday maybe we’ll be in electric busses, moving much more quietly to and fro.

Multi-national event: I heard there were race participants from something like one-hundred forty countries.   Throughout the event, from the expo the day before to the start village and at the finish line we heard pre-recorded announcements in many languages.

Bye Bye Beatrice:   I mentioned yesterday we had planned on donating things like our outerwear to one of the charity bins before the race start.   I am easily cold or chilled and I didn’t want to part with my $10 jacket I’d gotten from Wal-Mart.   It made no sense to keep it as I was already getting hot in the start lanes and we hadn’t even begun running yet.   I tried tying it around my waist and a man behind me said, “you’re killing me with that jacket.”   That one comment started a jovial conversation across four of us.   We’d come back to the jacket from time to time and because I was the brunt of most of the conversation, I told them I’d named the jacket ‘Beatrice’ and I just wasn’t sure I could let her go.   After about ten minutes more of laughter and protests on my part, I ditched, ‘B’ (as she’d been nicknamed by then) into a donation bin to cheers from my new found friends.  

The Depths of the Porta Potty:  My best friend commented on this and I agree, she’s right:  you only step up one small step to get into the porta potty, and yet the “material” below looks far deeper than the distance from the top of the seat to the ground.   Is it an optical illusion facilitated by that blue black liquid, or is it our fervent wish that things are farther away than they actually are?

Good Luck:   We were wished good luck by many people before the race on Saturday.   I’ve told people thanks before and explained how we don’t run fast but we make it there eventually.   This weekend I decided to cut the speech short and just summarize by saying, “we don’t need luck, we just need lots of time”

The Big Boy Update:  Tonight in the tub either my husband or I said something, I’m not sure which.   My son piped up, “grown-ups can even be funny sometimes.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter plays doctor apps, animal apps, and educational apps on the iPad.   She was showing me a frog on one of them the other day and said, “do you know what this frog needs all the time like me?  Eye drops.”  Speaking of eye drops, we did three drops in ten seconds tonight.    She is pretty much my eye drop hero.

Post Race Tiny Run:  Two miles today.   Not too sore, but neither of us really felt like running, we just wanted to test out our muscles.   We’re doing post-race okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment