Wednesday, November 2, 2016

All The Powers in the World

My children have a game they play when getting out of the tub.  It’s mostly my daughter’s passion, but my son has helped expand the game.   The real problem is my husband though.   He’s just too good at the game.   He’s so creative.   So far I don’t think I’ve seen him play the game the same way twice.   Why is this a problem?   Because when dad isn’t around, my children expect me to play the game and try as I might, I just can’t do it as well as he does.

Here’s how it’s played:  first, you have a small little girl who wants to play “the egg game” each and every time she gets out of the bath.   She wants to jump out, curl into a ball on the bathmat and be covered by her towel.   At this point she’s an egg.   She needs to be hatched, which is where my husband comes in, coming up with various ways to knock on an egg, talk to it once he hears the peeping or squeaking sounds it’s making and then be happily surprised when the baby turtle, giraffe or alligator pops out of the egg.  

Activities then revolve around getting pajamas on, drying hair, brushing teeth, doing eye drops but with the child being that particular animal.   This can be particularly challenging when you have a bouncing type of animal, which they all are in the case of my daughter’s.  

The game has gotten more complex lately in what animal the children are picking.  It wasn’t enough to be just a lion.   The lion had to have the power of fire and the dolphin needed the power of water.   These powers were sometimes able to be defeated by other powers (so my son told my daughter) so they needed secondary powers to counteract that.   In short order the battle of powers was settled evenly by each child saying something like, “I’m a baby elephant and I have all the powers in the world!”  

It didn’t stop there though.   Just tonight I heard my daughter hatching from her egg proclaiming in the fastest voice she could muster, “I’m a baby turtle with all the powers in the world and all the colors in the world and all the foods in the world.”   Her brother told her about several things she forgot to add, which means tomorrow we’ll have even more powerful animals hatching in our bathroom at bedtime.

The Big Boy Update:  I was wearing a ball cap today.  I rarely wear one but today turned out to be that rare day.   As my son was getting ready for bed I asked him if he thought I looked good in a hat.   He said he didn’t think I did, so I took the hat off, asking if that was better?  He said, “now you look like the Mommy I know.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to go outside and ride her scooter before dinner last night.   I opened the garage doors and told her she could go ahead, that it was okay.   Instead of being happy, she cried out instead, “but nobody’s going to supervise me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment