Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Neither Key Nor Meter Stopped Them

Today is my mother’s birthday.   I called and had a chat with her earlier in the day while the children were at school.    When they got home friends arrived before we had a chance to call and talk to Mimi and then after the friends had left the children went to get dinner with dad.

They got home with hibachi food bags and my husband’s cell phone rang.   He was off on a work call for some time during which the children and I ate dinner and talked about our days.   They like to do the “up and down” parts of their day a lot, with my daughter typically having several “up” things because lots of things make her happy—that and she likes to talk about her day.

When we were done eating I told them we were going to call Mimi and wish her a happy birthday.   I put the cell phone on speaker, placed it on the table and both children hovered around it, waiting for Mimi to pick up.   When Mimi picked up the phone they said hello and happy birthday and my mother told them she was so pleased they’d called.

Then, they sang the happy birthday song to her, just the two of them.  My children weren’t particularly on key or singing in the typical time.   They weren’t even singing the words at the same time, but it was…dare I say it?…”precious”.   I wish I could have recorded their little song.  

The Big Boy Update:  When I told my children at dinner it was Mimi’s birthday, my son asked me, “is Mimi celebrating with anyone today?  Is Gramps clapping for her right now?”   I told him I’d write the questions down for him and he could ask her when we called.   He forgot to ask her while we were on the phone, so I told him I’d write his questions in this blog post tonight so Mimi could let him know.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wrote her name in braille three times today.   She’s done it with assistance before, but this is the first time she’s done it all by herself, including the leading character that indicates a capital letter is to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment