Sunday, November 20, 2016

Old Lollipops

My children were talking about lollipops in the car yesterday after a birthday celebration.   My daughter was excited because there was a lollipop tree at the birthday party cooking class company.   It was a lot like P.T. Barnam’s “See the Egress, right this way” type of thing.   The children were told if they headed over towards the door (thus leaving the party area) they would find a lollipop tree they and could select a lollipop to take home.

Or beg to eat the lollipop right away is more like it as every child was asking their parent the same thing.   My daughter was excited by that tree because we have one during holiday times at our house. She wasn’t able to see that the tree at the birthday celebration was a tall log with holes drilled into it and was wholly unlike the tree we have at home.   The concept was the same and she asked me about when and where Gramps got our tree (she knows he gave it to us).   I told her a little about the history and then my husband and I got into a side discussion about lollipops.

We knew the ones we’d been putting on the tree weren’t new as we had put them in the attic and then put them back on the tree last year.   They were holding up fairly well though, considering they hadn’t crystallized and were looking new-ish, at least visually so.  

We decided I’d better order some more for this year’s tree.   I remembered the only place I’d been able to find them easily was on Amazon.   There are a lot of fancy, varieties these days so if you only want flat, round, single-color suckers like we used to find decades ago, you have few vendors to select from.  

I searched around and yet again, had to look for a while until I found just basic suckers.   I was about to purchase the suckers when I noticed a note at the top of the page from Amazon: “You purchased this item on November 20, 2010”.  

That means I’d found the same lollipops, only they were much older than I realized.   They were, in fact, five years old.   They were so old that when I originally purchased them, my daughter was only nine-days old.

I’m glad we decided to order some new suckers this year.

The Big Boy Update:  My son came around the corner saying, “I command you to destroy all the ladies with glasses!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was going to do her patching work yesterday when her friend, Madison, said she wanted to do it too.    The two ladies got on their patches and I thought they were going to have a good time, but about two minutes later Madison said she was done and so my daughter decided she’d had enough too.    Maybe we’ll get more time in on the patching front later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment