Monday, October 3, 2016

What, No Pancakes?

We’re home from camping.   My in-laws know what they’re doing, have all the camping gear and know how to run a camp site.   I have no camping things and know nothing about camping.   They made it easy for us though and my children had a good time the entire time.

There were some good comments from each of them over the past few days.  My daughter wanted me to call her “Tiny” and after some thought, decided I should be named, “Biggie”.  

We went to the shore of the lake just across from our camp site multiple times each day.   There was a “climbing tree” that leaned out over the water and provided lots of entertainment for the children.    We did some fishing which consisted mostly of trying to fish and not catching fish.   My son discovered how exciting bobbers could be and figured out how to connect them together.   He was particularly pleased when he found one left on the ground after our fishing neighbors departed.

There was a lot of digging in the sand.   I started digging and proclaimed I was going to dig to China.    My son got a stick, started digging and said, “I’m digging to Indonesia”.

We found a butterfly wing on the ground and discovered butterflies are my daughter’s favorite animal.     Later, when it was getting close to bed time my daughter asked me, “what’s that room that we’re going to be sleeping in called?”   A tent, I told her.

My son was talking to Nana about what would happen in the morning.   She told him about the muffins and cereal she had available for breakfast.   I heard him exclaim from across the camp site, “what, no pancakes?!”   Nana laughed and told him not this camping trip.

The Big Boy Update:  This morning before we left to go home my son said, “I just want to say goodbye to the climbing tree.”   He and I walked back to the shore, using the shortcut he’d discovered, and spent some time at the climbing tree.    When time was up we walked back together to say good bye to Nana and Papa to head home.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s vision is worse we’re all thinking.   It’s likely the cataract progressing, but we don’t know for sure.   She had a difficult time at the camp site finding us, things, not falling or running into things, basically most things.   It was low contrast in the woods, but she had to be assisted and monitored to be safe.   It would be really nice if her vision would take a turn for the better at some point.    She wasn’t overly bothered by her vision deficit though—she had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment