Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Mac Watch Unlock

This is going to be one of those, “I love technology” posts which means if new technology bores you, you can skip ahead to tomorrow’s post (if tomorrow’s already happened).

We’re getting software updates all the time in our lives and typically those updates benefit us by making our lives easier or more fun.  In the case of our Tesla cars, I would say the software updates are both, because who doesn’t love a car that tells you the radio interface is going to be entirely different, new, more exciting, easier to use and of course, more fun, when you wake up in the morning.    I may be taking that a bit far, but the interface was overhauled and the new screens are more feature-packed and easier to use.

My newest favorite software feature though is with my Mac.   There was a big update to the operating system last week and after installing it I was presented with some of the new features.   One of them was “Unlock with Apple Watch”.    What could this be?  I decided to turn it on and see what happened.   Sure, I could read about it, but that would be much less adventuresome.

Typically I sit down to my computer at home or pull it out of my bag when out elsewhere with it.   When the screen opens up I type in my password and begin work.   Only now, I don’t have to.   My Mac knows my Apple Watch is in proximity to it (I don’t know how it knows, I’m going to have to look into that part).   The Mac says, “Unlocking with Apple Watch” and then faster than I could have typed in my password, I’m in.   My watch does a little “ding”, letting me know it’s preformed another service for me, thank you very much.

So.  Much.  Fun.

The Big Boy Update:  My son, after realizing his sister was riding her bicycle all by herself and getting compliments from all the adults on the street, decided he wanted to ride his bicycle too.   Motivation is a strong teacher because in less than a half-hour my son was riding his bicycle unaided too.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My children just went to bed.   My daughter said she heard something, which I’m not sure is true, but she insists there was a beep.   My husband has gone upstairs to see if it’s the smoke detector battery in their room.   We’ve been getting ready for halloween and the children have a pumpkin night light in their room with pumpkin string lights in their hallway and bat lights in their bathroom.    This afternoon they put that spider web stuff on the front porch and hung ghosts on the tree.   Before bed my son wanted to go to bed with a rubber spider so my daughter did as well.    Now that my husband is up in they room I’m wondering if my daughter got overly spooked by halloween, especially since she told him as he was entering the room, “…and something just tapped me on the back…”

No comments:

Post a Comment