Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Bathroom Waterfall

My husband opened the doors under his vanity sink the other day to get something out.   There was a plastic bin with lots of things in it and when he reached in, he found it filled with water.    He pulled that out and then the other containers under the sink, including his trashcan.

Everything was filled with water.   The trashcan was half full and everything else was floating or drenched.    He called me in and we talked about what could have happened.    We remembered my daughter and Madison playing in the bathroom with the door shut the day before.   My daughter was consulted and she had helpful information.

It seems she and Madison were cleaning things in the sink.   They’d pulled the stopper, filled up the sink and then…left, forgetting to turn the water off.   They came back a while later to an overflowing sink—overflowing onto the floor.

They did some sort of cleanup at this point, I’m not sure how or what, but they left the bathroom looking like nothing had happened.   That night, my husband had come in and remarked on how drenched his bath mat was.  

We had a discussion later with the girls, letting them know if anything like that happened again to please let us know so we could help take care of the problem.  

But what was the problem?   It turned out the safety drain hole (not sure of the official name) was clogged.   I didn’t have any official tool to open it with, but I found a long, heavy-duty zip strip and jammed it into the hole repeatedly until it was free flowing again.  

My husband lost some toiletries, but overall it wasn’t that bad considering it could have done damage to the cabined if there had been standing water seeping into the wood for days.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was going over his Pokemon cards tonight.   He likes to lay them out, sort them, talk about them, ask what they say with some of the words and if you have time, he’ll even play a game with you using the cards and his own special rules.   Tonight he told me he’d found a special card and did I know what it was called?   I started naming random things like, “Celeryasaurus” and “Steveieoto”.   He gave me a look and said, “mom, stop guessing.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter rarely makes a mess in her pants.   They might get wet from time to time due to not making it to the potty in time, but she almost always makes it to the bathroom for solids.    Today she came home with what must have been in her pants for a while, aggravating her skin.   By the time we got to the bath part of the day she was in high discomfort.  She was so unhappy with the whole thing I’m wondering if she’ll redouble her efforts to deposit all solids in the toilet.    

No comments:

Post a Comment