Monday, October 31, 2016

Fruit Cup

I bet you didn’t expect a title like that for a Halloween evening post, but let me get to it, I have to start at the beginning first…

My children were at school later than usual today, getting home at 3:45.   Our neighborhood Halloween celebration started at 5:00 so it felt like we hardly had time to say hello to Nana and Papa, who had arrived for the evening, get dressed and get over to the clubhouse.    We made it, my daughter dressed up as a gum ball machine and my son was the green Lego Ninjago character, Lloyd.

My husband had prepared the front porch with painted signs, beakers and medical supplies and his rolling fog machine.  I had prepared the adult beverages to hand out when I returned from the party, which I left a little early from.   I was dressed up as a pharmacist, my outfit consisting solely of a lab coat but I had to up my game by putting in some contacts before the trick or treaters arrived.    I had one black contact and one solid white one—the latter being startling to look at.

The children started to come shortly and I was ready.   With my friends Darren and Jen handing out candy, I was free to deliver the, “antidotes” to the parents.   I walked like I was drunk or wounded towards the street and said, “excuse me sir, have you been given the antidote?”   Then I’d explain, “the Zika virus has mutated into the Freaka virus.  We have an antidote for adults over twenty-one.”  Then I’d hand them one of these:


I told them it was too late for me, but I hoped our antidote would save some of the neighborhood.   I am here to tell you, it was a hit.  People loved it.   They thought the drink was great.   What parent hasn’t had to give their child medicine in a bottle just like the one above?   The best part was all the reactions.   I got all different kinds, but the most unexpected thing was how much one white contact made a visual impact on people.  All in all, the drinks were a whole lot of fun to hand out. 

In the meantime while this was going on, my husband and in-laws were going around the neighborhood with the children.  They didn’t make it the whole way, but the got a lot of houses in.   My son decided to go off with Keira and Rayan after a bit and my daughter enjoyed being with Nana.   

When they got home my daughter counted her candy and in finding she had thirty-nine pieces, decided she wanted an even number.   She went out front, asked Darren if she could have another piece and then came back in, saying now she had forty pieces. 

My son laid all his candy out.   All that candy in front of him and do you know the thing he picked to eat?   The fruit cup he got from one house in the neighborhood.

The Big Boy Update:  My son removed all the peanut items after trick-or-treating tonight.   He looked over at his sister’s pile and said, “I’ll trade you all my peanut items for that skittles.”   She said sure.    I’m not sure who got the better deal in that situation.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  On the way home from school today we told my daughter she was going to see Nana when she got to the house.   She asked Papa, “does Nana still have her surgery?”   We told her she had had the ‘surgery’ part but she still has the ‘sling’ on her arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment