Saturday, October 8, 2016

Hurricane Door Delight

Okay, Matthew (the hurricane) or bits of him are visiting us.   We’re not being pummeled by a hurricane per se, we just have lots of “weather” to content with.  

What does that mean?  Mostly it’s hours and hours of rain with reasonable wind to accompany the downpour.   The rain isn’t bad in and of itself, it’s just the continued deluge that’s causing problems.   We have friends without power.   We still have power but we could lose it soon from the social media updates my husband has been reading.

But this post is about our car—our Tesla Model X car.   I had one of those, “wow, that’s really great” moments today with our Model X I didn’t expect to have.    It’s all about the door and how it’s over engineered and how I initially though it was silly and now I love the feature and miss it in our other car.

When you walk up to the Model X, the driver door opens for you.   If you approach from the front it opens just a bit until you walk past the door and then it opens up more so you can get into the driver’s seat.   Once you get in and get settled the natural thing to do is press the brake pedal, which in the Model X causes the driver door to close.  

So back to today and our weather.   It was doing that “raining buckets” thing when our board retreat let out.   I needed to get to my car getting the least amount drenched I could manage.    I walked towards the car, the door opened, I got in, I pressed the brake immediately and the door closed.   And as a result, I got minimally wet.  

It’s not common I’m stuck in pouring rain, but if it happens again, I want my Model X there with me.

The Big Boy Update:  I was at a board retreat today.   My husband was busy getting ready to go out of town with my daughter.   This meant my son has had a large amount of screen time since this morning.   He hasn’t had access to his iPad or video games in a good while and he’s had a happy day—until you try and talk to him, at which point he becomes a cranky monster.   I wish I understood better why screen time makes children so cranky.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was talking to my son about dinner and I overheard this conversation:  “so do you know what birds make?   They make chicken.”

No comments:

Post a Comment