Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I Didn’t Think About Getting Home…

The New York City Marathon is coming up in a few short weeks.  My toe is recovered and we’re ready for the most part.   I was looking forward to having dinner with Uncle Jonathan and Margaret earlier this week for a number of reasons.   We hadn’t seen them in a while and it’s nice to catch up with friends.   But I also wanted to talk to Margaret about the upcoming marathon.

She has a lot of experience with races overall and she knows about the New York marathon from racing it several times.   I asked a lot of questions and am fairly sure I’m going to be tired just from all the commuting and wait times it takes to get to the point where you can run, followed by more waiting and commuting just so you can get back to where you’re staying.

That’s when corral times came up.   Uncle Jonathon is fast folks—he’s starting near the front and will finish hours before we do.    I hadn’t checked buy our corral time was eleven o’clock.   ELEVEN?!  I didn’t expect that at all.   Usually races start early—sometimes very early.   Margaret explained how they needed to let people get into the city (including the over fifty thousand racers) before closing some of the roads so starting time for the first wave wasn’t until nine o’clock.

I did some calculations in my head and realized we might have a problem with our flight home at eight.   Margaret agreed that it would be a frantic rush to get through everything, get back to the hotel, shower and change, grab bags and hope we could get to the airport in time.

I texted my best friend and we decided to look into it the next day.    We agreed leaving Monday at 9:30AM made more sense so she called Delta to see what could be done.   And this is where I don’t know what happened.   She told the very nice lady on the phone how she didn’t even think about the timing and how we’d get home.  

The lady laughed with her and looked at the price delta for the Monday flight.   The cost had gone down and the flight was cheaper than it had been when we booked our other flights but we’d have to pay a change fee—or would we?   The agent was so understanding she waived the change fee and now we each have a seventy-one dollar credit for future travel.  

I’m thankful for several things:  First, to Margaret, who helped us realize we needed to rethink our departure.   Second, for my friend, for trying to change our flights and third, to the very nice lady at Delta who made our marathon weekend just a little bit happier.

The Big Boy Update:  We had Bring Your Parents to School last Friday.   My son stayed with the teachers and volunteers during the annual meeting portion of the evening between the times we were in the classrooms with our children.  The children who could write their names put on name tags.    This is what my son’s looked like:


When I asked him what his name tag said, I was expecting him to tell me about the “G” he had written.  Instead, he told me it was a 61 that looked like a G.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter likes to play “The Egg Game” and “The Rock Game” when she gets out of the tub.   Both games involve curling up in a ball and having the towel put over you.   My husband does the game with them all the time and I’m not really involved.   The big thing right now is to be some sort of egg with an animal inside.   The animal is special though because I always hear my husband saying, “and it has all the powers in the world”.   Once the egg is hatched, the baby <insert powerful animal here> my daughter jumps up, runs around, hops on the bed and jumps and makes animal sounds.  It’s pretty much a requisite to play the egg or rock game during bath time now (in case you plan on watching our children any time soon).


No comments:

Post a Comment