Tuesday, October 11, 2016

No Real Revelations. Talk Later.

That was the text message I got from my husband this morning after he and my daughter left their next day follow-up appointment with Dr. Trese.   We had talked last night on the phone about what questions to ask and what information we needed so we could work on things on our end before our return in seven weeks.

We wanted to know how much the cataract had progressed (clouded) since he last saw her two months ago.   He said it had gotten a little worse, but not dramatically so.   He thought the decrease in her vision was probably more related to the low pressure in her left eye which caused fluid to build up behind her retina and was disrupting her vision more.

My husband asked about timing for lens removal, working with Duke and collaborating with him in Detroit.   He agreed and said when he talked to Dr. Grace this weekend at the conference they were both going to he and she were planning on getting together to discuss my daughter’s case.

Next week I’ll follow up with Dr. Grace and see what we need to do to potentially schedule anything on this end with Duke and find out the results of their conversation.

There was one bit of good news we found out today: Dr. Trese saw no indication of infection or inflammation in either eye.  In the case of my daughter’s eyes, something not going wrong is almost a reason to celebrate, sad as it may be to say.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to help our neighbors find the home of a lost dog.   I’m not sure the dog was truly lost, I think the dog had just gotten out of the back yard.   Regardless, the three children wanted to go around the block looking for the owner.   My son got his helmet on and was ready to head off on his scooter to go around the half-mile block when he realized his two friends had left.   He asked me if I could message their mom, but when I called she didn’t answer.   I went to the end of the street and told him if he stayed on the sidewalk and watched for cars, he could go without me to find his friends.     He wasn’t gone long and he didn’t go around the while block, but he was cautious and was very happy when he came back, telling me how they found the dog’s owner.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I really think this should be its own blog post because I’m really a proud parent.   My daughter, not yet five-years-old, can ride a bike.   She can start from a dead stop, do gradual and sharp turns, go fast or slow, up and down hills and avoid obstacles—something impressive considering her vision.  She has done a few short stints before but today she had it completely figured out.   She was on her bike for forty-five minutes and when we made her come in as it was getting dark, she lay down on the driveway and cried because she didn’t want to stop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment