Monday, November 23, 2015

With Organization Comes Empowerment

I heard the title of this post recently.   I don’t know who said it but I think I may have just found my personal by line.   Wow, what a great thought.  I do tend to feel more in control of things, more empowered as it were, when I’ve got things organized.

The children have toys everywhere, there are dishes on the counter, jackets on the floor and a pile of paperwork on my desk and I feel like I’m not in as much control of my imminent domain as I’d like to be.     At the end of the day, like now, when the kitchen is cleaned, the toys are put away and the stack of paperwork has been completed and I feel relaxed.   I’m ready to focus on other things, tomorrow for instance, because everything else is in order.

Some of that is just being tidy though, which I think is a form of organization.   There is the digital organization of the files on my computer and paper organization of the printed material in my file folders that makes up a lot of the abstract organization in my life.    We have the physical organization including where things are stored in our closets, drawers, cabinets and homes.   Having everything around me in a relative state of organization and order makes things just go easier I think.

And then there is the reduction in stuff organization.   This has always been one of my favorite types of organization because getting rid of stuff is just so freeing.   I mean who doesn’t love stuff?  But too much stuff can be a mental burden.  

So on the whole, I don’t really know where I was going with this whole post other than to say how much I love the saying.    I’ve got to finish writing this so I can go organize a drawer or something and feel more empowered.   Later, folks…

The Big Boy Update:  Too big for bat.   My son has a shirt he’s been wearing for two years now.  It’s black with eyes and nose on the front and gussets under the long sleeves that connect to the body, making the shirt look like a bat.   It has small bat ears sewed into the top of the shoulders as well.   Yesterday I noticed the shirt didn’t even go down to his wrists any more.   I told him we were going to have to retire his bat shirt.   He said something along the lines of, “noooooo!!!!!”  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter likes to make bracelets out of strips of paper she cuts with the paper cutter.   She then takes a piece of tape and tapes up a bracelet to wrap around her arm.   Lately she’s been asking us to write her name on the strip before she tapes it on.   She does this because every time she goes to the hospital for an eye evaluation or to have an infusion she gets a medical ID bracelet with her name on it.   When we leave we remove it.   This morning she got the scissors, cut the bracelet off and said in a happy voice, “Oh, I can go home now!”

No comments:

Post a Comment