Thursday, November 12, 2015

Well, He Didn’t Want to do Ballet

I really like the families at our school.   They’re not pretentious, even though many of them are doctors or lawyers or elected politicians or even federal judges.   They’re not judgy (which I don’t think is a word, but I like the sound of ‘judge’.)   They don’t care about ethnicity or religious beliefs and they’re supportive of the parents, children and teachers.

We started Tae Kwon Do at the beginning of the week this week and both children are really enjoying it.   When we arrived on the first day I one of the mothers from our school there with her daughter, who is in my daughter’s class.   We talked for a little bit and I asked her how her son, who is older, was liking Tae Kwon Do.   She said, “well, he didn’t want to do ballet so we thought we’d try this.”  

I didn’t ask for details, I just liked the thought that she had considered and offered ballet to her son before going with a more stereotypical male activity.    We have several people in school who’s daughters and sons do dance camp in the summer.   I’m not sure either of my children would be interested, but I might try when they’re a few years older.

The Big Boy Update:  Two classes into Tae Kwon Do and my son is loving it.   The only complaint is that they don’t get to use swords.    When we arrived on the first day of class, the older students were practicing with swords.   I had to explain to my son about dedication, perseverance, getting some belts and practice.    I’m not sure he got all of what I was saying.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has had two incident reports sent home recently for pinching.   She’s gotten frustrated and acted out physically.   This is not like her normally, but with her vision issues, it may be something we have to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment