Monday, November 9, 2015

Costco’d

I think I’m going to start using a new phrase in our house because it seems to happen a lot.   It may happen to my husband or Uncle Bob when he’s visiting or, and this is the important one, me when I take a trip for one thing like toilet paper and come home with seven other things I didn’t have on the list but couldn’t resist when I got there.   I can hear myself now, shaking my head and saying to my husband, “I see you got Costco’d.”  

We have a membership to two warehouse stores in the area and we frequent them both.   There lies a trick in going there to get what you need and not being taken in by too many things you don’t need.   I have two issues when it comes to getting “Costco’d” and those are in order of magnitude: size and size.

Size one is the too much kind of size.   Yes, we like cheese sticks, but we didn’t need ninety-six of them.    Bulk items are great—if you have a bulk need, which we usually don’t.   I like a bargain, but not when it’s at a price of storing something for months in a refrigerated environment only to have to some of it out in the end because we didn’t consume it before it expired.

My other size complaint is of the MEGA variety.  These warehouses are big.   They have lots of floor space and their ceilings are high.   They have customers who have the ability to buy the biggest Halloween inflatable or the most insanely huge artificial tree or a toy train that’s about 1:2 scale and takes an entire back yard just to set up.   When it comes to these kinds of things, bigger isn’t better as far as I’m concerned.

Today I got mildly Costco’d.   I got something I didn’t need more of today, but I would use in the near future.   Thankfully I could fit the supplies in the drawer I keep backups in.   I got my daughter a jacket I wasn’t sure she needed but the jacket was everything she was going to love and it was sixteen dollars and I couldn’t remember if she had a winter jacket that fit her from last year and it went in my cart and I made peace with the impulse buy before I was even in the checkout lane.   It turns out she needed the jacket and happily wore it for the rest of the day when I showed it to her.

It wasn’t a bad day at the warehouse store for me, there have been worse times I’ve gotten Costco’d.

The Big Boy Update:  Extended Day.   We found out at our recent parent/teacher conference that my son will be going into Extended Day in January.   He won’t be told this until the end of December and it will be a happy time when he finds out from his teachers because becoming an “extended day-er” is a big thing in his world.   This means he’s going into, “kindergarten” or the equivalent thereof in Montessori school.   Because he’s five-years-old in December and the teachers believe he is mature enough to join the extended day class, he will start going to school for a full day, ending at 3:00 like other kindergarten children.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter has been feisty lately.  She has bitten, pinched, hit and screamed at other children in the past two weeks.   This isn’t normally like her.   She seems to be dealing with the stress of her vision situation well, but perhaps there’s something we’re not able to understand that’s going on.   Tomorrow, we have a meeting with her therapist, who wants to give us some advice on how to understand what’s happening with her and how we can best support her.

No comments:

Post a Comment