Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Dreary Solar Day

My husband came home before lunch and called me, rather excited.   This was unusual because he’s one of those even keel people that rarely gets excited.   He told me, “the guy from the power company is here, finishing switching out or meter.”   This was good news.  I immediately understood my husband’s excitement when he said that.

We’ve gone through the entire process with getting solar installed at our home.   The last step is the turning on of the system.   It has to be planned, approved, inspected, installed, inspected again, filed for with the power company and then, finally, our meter is switched out to a bi-directional one so that we can both buy and sell electricity to the power company.  

It was finally happening—we could go up to the attic, turn on the breakers, rotate the switches and rap on the display panels (don’t ask me why, but you rap on them with a knuckle to turn them on) and fire the whole system up.    Exciting times.

Only it was overcast.  It was dreary.   It had been raining and the sky was in a bad temper.   But it was technically light outside because I could see how to get to the refrigerator from the living room, so some solar power was being generated.   We didn’t get over more than a kW at a time for the next few hours, but it’s something.    And we’re pretty excited about that something.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was unhappy today when he found out his sister and Madison had “messed up his bed.”  (They had been playing ‘Birthday Party’ and needed his blanket for the table cloth.)   He went out to the front porch where they were hammering nails into little pumpkins, told them what he thought about their messing up his bed and then knocked over their container of nails.   Note to the ladies:  don’t mess with his bed.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and son were playing some sort of game this morning.   My daughter told me my son was “a Credible Hulk.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment