Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Internal Calendar Clock

Every year it happens multiple times, I see a Christmas tree or hear a Fourth of July song or watch a television show relating to some holiday months in the future.  We might be months away from that particular holiday at the time and I mentally am so far away from being interested, prepared or excited for the day(s) to come around.   And yet as the time gets closer I always eventually get ready and look forward to the holiday or season.  It’s as if my body has not only a circadian daily rhythm, but an annual calendar rhythm as well.

It wasn’t but a few scant weeks ago I thought there was no way I was going to be ready for another Christmas season what with the crazy consumer mania, the overdone holiday decorations and the excessive amounts of sugar-based holiday treats on which I will be exposed to.   Then, yesterday at the holiday symphony concert, there were a few songs that got me almost to admitting I was just about ready to embrace the holidays yet again.

As the last number finished amid all the stage lights, they turned on lighting in some garlands around the stage I hadn’t noticed before.    The show was over and the message was, “let the holidays commence.”    It was at that point that I said to myself, “I’m in.”

Today we had two very nice meals, both with all four grandparents, to celebrate Thanksgiving.  We also had an adventure down at the creek in which both my children were allowed to ride on the zip line across the creek for the first time.   Talk about glee.  

The rest of the weekend I think I’m going to get to work on wrapping and preparing for mailing the presents I’ve been collecting for our upcoming “mega holiday” otherwise known as American Christmas.   But for now, thanks to all out there who have touched our lives and made them more joyful.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Barbershop Update:  The children’s Uncle Dale is in the barbershop quartet.   While we were in the car the other day my mother opened her birthday present to find their latest CD.   We put it in the car’s CD player and explained to the children that Uncle Dale was one of the singers.   My daughter asked several times, “which one is Uncle Dale?”   My mother, not knowing how to adequately explain to my daughter the difficulty of picking out one voice among the others said, “uh...he’s the third one.”   This apparently answered my daughter’s questions completely.    We heard several songs and then Amazing Grace began to play.   My son suddenly said, “this would be a good song for Christmas.”

No comments:

Post a Comment