Sunday, November 30, 2014

Soup Day

I made soup today.   It was enough days past Thanksgiving that the leftover phase was over and I was faced with a ham bone with a good bit of meat still on it that I wanted to take advantage of.   I took my son to the store so that we could round off my soup recipe with a few ingredients I was missing.   We got back and my daughter helped me make the ham and vegetable soup I've been making ever since my mother taught me how to when I was small.   The soup simmered on the stove for some hours and then everyone had soup for dinner.

I wonder how many other Americans were making soup today?  I wonder what calendar day of the year has the highest incidence of soup making in homes.   I'm sure I could look this up, but there goes the sense of wonder, right?   Maybe I will when I finish this blog post.

My reasoning in thinking today may well be one of the highest soup-making days of the year is because Thanksgiving leftovers make excellent soup to start.   It's been enough days of eating the leftovers in their originally-served form to make many people tired of them and it's cold (or it commonly is this time of year.)

I love soup.   I think I'll be eating my soup for at least a week.   I like this soup so much that I don't mind at all.   The only thing I don't like about this soup is I like it so much I overeat because I have too many bowls.   It is possible to gain weight eating soup, trust me on this.

The Big Boy Update:  Although I didn't look up details about my "soup day" thought on the internet, I do go to a browser many times each day for various things.  Of late my son has been asking what,   "<thing one> and <thing two> make."   Most of the time I can answer him because I know what seven and four make as well as what twelve and three and three and three make.   Sometimes he asks tough ones though.   He's been on a color combination kick lately and I wasn't really sure what pink and orange made so I went to a higher authority: the internet.   I told him, "ah, it makes salmon or coral, depending on how much of each color is added."  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We got our Christmas tree today.   It's not decorated yet, but it's up in our basement.   My daughter came in from playing outside before dinner, walked over to the tree, hugged it and said, "I wuv you."

No comments:

Post a Comment