Friday, November 28, 2014

The Bed Rail Mystery

We had a set of bed rails we used for the children when we travelled over the last year or so.   There were multiple locations we'd visited that had twin beds we could put them on to prevent any roll-off falls my children might have had.   But as we packed for this trip I noticed they weren't in the usual spot so a hunt ensued.

My mother and father had kept them the last two trips at their mountain house so we assumed they were there but when I called, they said they had looked and didn't see them.   We looked in the children's storage area and the attic and no luck finding them at home.   My husband and I are pretty organized and these bedrails aren't that small so it was a bit unexpected that they were missing.

We decided at that point that the children were old enough to not need bed rails (due in part because of the missing bed rails.)  So we headed to the mountains and hoped for the best.

In their bedroom in the mountains we stuck a large throw pillow against the corner area of the night stand at each bed and put the children to bed at night per usual.   And no one has fallen out yet.   I came in one time to find my son lying sideways on the bed with his head dangling over the edge so I rearranged him.  Other than that, I think they've graduated from bed rails.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been saying lots of things lately that are so very toddler-appropriate.  Here are a few of them:   My father-in-law was out in the snow for a long time with my son (who never seems to get cold.)  His mittens were wet all through after climbing several trees so my son had finally had enough.   He said to Grandpa, "let's go inside, my hands are freezie."   After drying off, we got ready to go out to eat.  I asked my son which shirt he wanted to wear.   He pointed to the basic blue shirt with the horizontal yellow stripes on it and told me, "that's my electricity shirt.  I want to wear that one."  He's called that same shirt his electricity shirt before, so he must know what he's talking about.   Then, as we were leaving the restaurant from dinner tonight, my mother pointed out the first-quarter moon, showing only the right side of the moon visible to the children.   My son said, "where is the other half?"

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter decided to read some books to Mimi today.   She read not one, not two, but four books to her.   She read every page too saying things like, "beh dah bluh deh" and other non-word syllables.   My mother said if there had been more time, she would have gladly read more books to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment