Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Under-appreciated Cleaner

My children were eating dinner at the two bar seats beside the kitchen sink tonight.   They were lollygagging.   They were dawdling.   They were fidgeting.   And most of all, they weren't eating their dinners.   I didn't mind if they didn't eat their dinner, because they could eat a larger breakfast in the morning.    (This is what happens when you don't like or want what's been served to you.)  

It was then that I had it explained to me that they would really like cookies.   That would be just the thing.   I explained that once they had eaten all their broccoli and rice, they would be eligible for a cookie.   They became suddenly interested in their food.    They started eating.    And as it always goes with rice, they started spilling things on the floor.

I knew they did this.   I didn't think it was all that bad in the past.  They got done, ate their cookies and headed off somewhere.   That's when I saw the mess.   The big mess.   The rice all over the floor and the cookie crumbs on the chair.   And how did they get the rice to fall that far away from their chairs?    That's when I realized we were missing our cleaner.  

Our dog is visiting my in-laws.   My dog loves my mother-in-law.   I knew the dog cleaned up any droppings, but I didn't have a true appreciation for the scope of the job until tonight when I was on my hands and knees, wiping up rice and cookie crumbs.

The Big Boy Update:   We had our school's Thanksgiving celebration in the classrooms today.  My son's class all went around and said one thing they were thankful for.   My son said, "I'm thankful for daddy coming to my class."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter can completely wash her hair on her own.   She lies back and gets her hair wet in the tub, squirts shampoo on her hair, rubs all around making a nice lather and then rinses it off.    Sometimes she washes her hair two or three times.

Fitness Update:  Five miles.   It was unseasonably warm weather this morning which made for a fun run.

No comments:

Post a Comment