Friday, November 7, 2014

Lazy Crazy

This morning my day was moving at a slow pace.   I got up early and went to the gym.   I suppose my heart was moving at a quick pace when I was doing the crazy exercises the trainer had us doing, but I wasn't in a hurry.  

We got the children ready for school and my husband left to take them there.   I had time to get things done and it was plenty of time to eat a calm, relaxed breakfast without having to eat the remnants of my children's meals and finish a coffee without realizing I'd even started drinking it.

I had a phone call and text message about substituting, but I wasn't able to because I had children in the afternoon.   After several calls, we worked out a solution: I'd bring my children back to school and help at the same time.    This sounded like a good idea.  

Lunch went well and my children fell asleep on the way home.   We woke them in time to get ready to go back to school and then things started to get hinky.    Both children didn't want to be woken up, pulled out of the car to go to the bathroom to be put back into the car to go back to school.  

I got to school and my son was happy and fine.  He loved after school.   Some of his friends were there and there were new activities to do.   My daughter was not happy.    She was very not happy.   She started to cry and wouldn't let go of my leg and asked to please go home.  

She wasn't hungry and she didn't want to do anything, including playing with one of her best friends at school.   But I couldn't leave.   I needed to negotiate conflicts between children and help out the other teachers.  

I eventually put her in the minivan with the door open and latched her into her seat.   She was less unhappy there and really didn't want to get back out of the car.   She asked me to close the door at one point.   It was right about then that I remembered the emergency Advil we had in the go bag in the back of the car.   I gave her some (she didn't want it,)   I explained it was't a choice and eventually she drank it.    I did these things in-between going back onto campus and checking out what was happening with the other children.   (The primary teacher was sick but two teachers were already out and she was stuck at school.)

Soon enough it was time to go back inside and I was going to have a tough choice.  Leave my daughter in the car and lock it and go inside or drag her unhappy, crying self in?    That's when the main teacher did a student count and told me I could go because there were legally enough children that only one teacher was needed and she could manage them fairly easily inside versus outside.

On the way home my daughter started to get back to normal (that means the Advil was kicking in), but I'm not sure if she's actually well.    We'll find out later tonight when the medicine wears off.

The Big Boy Update:  As we wanted in the school drop-off line yesterday my son asked me, "what are those doors on the roof?"  I didn't know what he was talking about until I saw where he was pointing.  "Those are skylights", I said.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  After my daughter's difficult time at after school today (see above), she was almost normal on the way home in the car.   She and my son started playing the eye spy game.   She said, "I spy with my little eyes I smell like a snake."

Fitness Update:  Gym on a Friday.   Sweating happened.   Muscles were tired.   I survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment