Saturday, September 13, 2014

Where Did the Mail Go?

I'd had something happen several times with my email.  The first time or two I thought it was a mistake, but more recently, I was certain I wasn't making the same error over and over so I took a note to look into it.   What I found was interesting.

I manage my email in three locations: my iPhone, my iPad and my computer.   The phone and tablet are convenience locations, meaning that I can read and if need be, reply to the emails from those locations.    My main location for handling anything and everything else is my computer.   My computer is also where I keep copies of everything.

Like most people, I have several email accounts.   One, my main email address, I've had for a long long time.   I have two gmail addresses that I use for various other purposes, and I have an email address with my children's school for any work I do as a trustee.  

The general process I go through during any given day involves checking email from time to time, as time permits.   I do a quick response if appropriate from those devices and then delete the email from my phone or tablet inbox, knowing I'll file the copy of all emails on my computer later.    I can usually go through all my emails, respond and delete everything quickly during the day.  

When I get to my computer at night, I file all the emails and take care of anything I haven't handled during the day on my devices.   What had been happening though was that days later, I'd realize that email I must have read on my phone that I meant to add to the board minutes, wasn't in my inbox...and I'd forgotten about it.  

Did I accidentally delete it?   I'd search the trash folder and sure enough, there it was.   Strange.   I'd file the email and then do the thing I should have done and had forgotten because my mental trigger of the email sitting in my inbox wasn't happening.

That scenario happened enough that I wondered what was going on.   I took a note to look into it and happened to mention it to my husband during our drive to get the children at lunch.   He said to me, "does the school happen to use gmail as their mail service?"   I told him they did.  He told me that gmail mail tries to keep all inboxes in sync, so when I had deleted the message on my phone, it was getting deleted on my inbox on my computer and iPad as well.

I am so glad I mentioned it to him, because he was spot on correct.   I got home that afternoon and send myself an email from one, non-gmail account to another gmail-based account and watched both emails show up in my inbox on the computer.   Then, I deleted the gmail one on my phone and watched as it disappeared from my computer's inbox.

Mystery solved.

The Big Boy Update:   We went to soccer class today.  I'm going to sign the children up because they both had such a good time.   My son did very well.  He listened, did what they asked and had very good control of the soccer ball.    I was really impressed.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   Finger friends.   My daughter was talking to her fingers the other day.   She had some game going on and each finger was a person or entity of some sort.  It was quite cute.   She was very happy having her own little conversation with her finger friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment