Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Capital U

This is strange, I wasn't planning on writing and entire post on a single letter three minutes ago, but three minutes ago, I suddenly wasn't sure I was going to be able to successfully write a post at all.

Out of the blue, my keyboard wouldn't type a capital 'U'.   Lower case 'u' was fine, upper case was no go.   Was it the shift key?  No, every other letter was fine with the shift key.   Strange.   I tried a different application and window and got the same result.  An operating system update had just been applied in the last hour and the machine had been rebooted.  But what odd behavior.

I rebooted again and the problem persisted.   Double strange.  I then opened up my laptop itself (I typically type on an external keyboard) and the 'U' there worked just fine.   What could it be?

It could possibly be the external keyboard, so I powered it off and back on, tried a 'U' in another window and all was fine.   Then, I tried to type "The Big Boy pdate" (which is how I found out there was a problem in the first place) and ran into the same issue.

As an aside, I don't always write these blog posts from top to bottom.  Sometimes, one of the sections is taking mental precedence, so I usually get that section out of the way first.   But back to the keyboard.   I powered it off again, turned it upside down and did some blowing and tapping in the hopes there was something physical in the keyboard causing the trouble.

When I turned it back on for a second time, the problem seems to be resolved.    I don't mind bugs, but bugs that I don't understand always make me want to know more about how computers work.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a lesson today at a store.  I was looking for a rain jacket for his sister and he was playing with some well-packaged toys.   I checked on him several times and he was fine.   When I came back for him the last time, he had opened a fishing rod and lure set for children.   He loves these things and that particular item had been taped and re-taped several times.   Still, it wasn't okay and now i would have to buy the item, especially because the flimsy plastic shovel had broken in the process.   I took it up to the register and asked the cashier if she could let him know she was disappointed in him for opening the item.   She did a very kind, but firm job of it and my son started crying, because he knew he shouldn't have opened the package.   She felt terrible.  I told her she was perfect and he was learning a lesson.   She snuck it in the bag and we didn't tell my son.   I hope he remembers the lesson.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves clothes.   I had only two outfits for her that were fall weather-worthy and I was out of luck if tomorrow's weather was cold and wet again, so this morning I went to the used clothing store and got her a fall wardrobe (for a steal, I love that store).   When she got home she was so excited about the new clothes.  She tried on more than one of them and lots of her new things were, as she told me, "my favorite".

Fitness Update:  My SI joint was much better today.   We did these crawling things at the gym where we crawl like a dog under a bar, stand up to do a jump, turn around and do it in the other direction.   You wouldn't think it would be that hard, especially since the bar is rather high up, but when you have to do them in quantity, they suddenly become exceptionally tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment