Thursday, September 11, 2014

T6.0

Something happened today that I've never experienced before.   I've experienced similar things, but not this.   We were anticipating it.   We were hoping for it.   It was going to be cool.    And today, this afternoon specifically, it happened.

It's a software thing.   I've worked my whole career—aside from the mom-based, non-technical part of my life—in software.   For example, you might have Windows 3.1 today, but soon, you're looking forward to Windows NT. You want those cool new features that are rumored, but you have to wait until it's released.

More recently, smart phones and tablets are the, "I can't wait for iOS 17.22 because it's going to let me send blurbles to my friends with only a single clickoid!"  Or something like that.   It's true though, we hang on the rumors and look forward to the press conferences in which they announce all the great features.

Then, the update arrives.   For my phone or tablet, the device tells me there's a new software update and if I'd like to press this virtual button and wait for a bit, it will be installed and I can begin using all the newest features and complaining or praising them as I see fit on the internet and to my friends.

What's never happened until today was having my car tell me it had a software update, and if I'd like to press this virtual button (with the understanding that the car wouldn't be drivable for forty-five minutes) the update would be applied.  

Well HELL YES I would like to press the virtual button on the car's touch screen and spend the next forty-five minutes reading online about the features that had actually arrived in that update, as opposed to the rumored features we'd been hearing about for the past several months.

When the update was done, my husband and I sat in the car in the garage and read all about the new features.   We can turn on the car from a phone now, in the case we don't have a key with us.   It's not a replacement for having a key, but you can do it if you find yourself without your key.   And that is cool.  

It syncs with my phone's calendar and if I have calendar entries with addresses on them, I can click the entry and it will navigate me there.   And—and I think this may be the coolest of all—it has a feedback and bug reporting system so you can send Tesla Motors any ideas, bugs or suggestions you may have just by speaking to the car.

I love my Tesla, now with it's T6.0 operating system.

The Big Boy Update:  Poo...ewwww!   It was bedtime.  My husband took the children up to read them their favorite story when I heard him call me up, saying we had a problem and I needed to come right now.   The problem turned out to be a large smear of poop on their bedroom carpet.   There had been attempts at cleaning it up, but they only made it worse.   My son admitted it was him, saying he had tried to fix it and had put the, "cleaning things" in the trash can in the bathroom.   He had.   He had really tried.     Now, past bedtime, my children are watching my husband and me use the carpet cleaner on the large spot on the floor.    It took us longer than anticipated because one of the covers was missing on the unit and while water and detergent were going into the carpet, nothing was coming out.   Once we got it working, the carpet cleaned right up.   We told my son everyone has accidents, and could he just (please) tell us next time.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Is your favorite"  My daughter uses those words a lot.   I am fairly sure we and many other people in her life are misusing and overusing that phrase because she uses it when what she really means is, "like".  

No comments:

Post a Comment