Monday, September 15, 2014

The Dessert Domino Effect

I had to make a lot of dessert on Sunday.   It was one of those things that got started and didn't want to stop.   It was all the fault of two eggs in my refrigerator.

I had some cream and half-and-half left and I wanted to make one more batch of ice cream before the summer season was over.   Hey, I've got two eggs.  I heard there were eggs in frozen custard, maybe I'll make that.   I looked up the recipe and was surprised at the need for not two, but eight egg yolks.    So I decided to forget the custard.

After lunch I took my children to the grocery store to buy, "Snack Duty" items as it was my daughter's turn for her class that week.   I needed two dozen eggs among other things.   When I got to the egg cooler, I saw a thirty-count container of eggs.  It was the most economical of all the options...and there were six extra eggs.

That's right, there were six eggs to go with my two eggs and that meant I was making frozen custard when I got home.   Groceries in the cupboard, and I had cream and half-and-half in a saucepan, eggs separated into yolk and whites and then yolks beaten with sugar and vanilla.  Next I tempered the yellow bowl with the now-hot cream bowl.    Back onto the stove for some thickening and then into the refrigerator for some chilling before the eventual freezing and then the final step of eating.    It was fun.  It was not like most ice creams I've made before because ice cream is usually frozen and not cooked...twice.

Did I mention the helpfulness of my daughter, who never left my side the entire time?  She insists on helping you in the kitchen, especially when you don't need help.   She listens though and is careful, so it's nice to have her around.

The custard was not chilling in the refrigerator and I turned my attention to the eight egg whites.   I didn't want to throw them away because that seemed just sad.   So I decided to make merengue cookies.   Out comes the mixer, sugar, cream of tartar and the whipping of the egg whites commenced.   Hold on one minute, I have some of those tiny peppermint chips my mother-in-law gave me at Christmas for ice cream.   I wonder how they'd fare in the meringues?

They fared well.   Very well.   So by the end of Sunday I had two dozen sugary cookies I didn't need and a batch of exceptionally delicious, calorie-laden frozen custard in my freezer.    I'm going to have to make new friends to get rid of it before I eat it all.

It was the egg's fault.

The Big Boy Update:   We went to dinner with my parents tonight.   I had one lengthy "discussion" with my son (or perhaps I mean discipline incident) which seemed to put him in a great state of mind for the rest of the day.   He played well with his sister and was a model three-year-old at dinner out tonight.    I was very proud of him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter drew a picture on a post-it note yesterday.  She ran over to me to show me her scribbles exclaiming, "look what I draw!  It's a picture of my family.  I made if for Olivia."

Fitness Update:  I sometimes wear sleeveless workout shirt-things when I go to the gym.   Sometimes when this happens our trainer has us do arms work.  Sometimes that arms work is in front of this big mirror that runs along one section of the gym.   I never in my life thought I'd have arm muscles, but the mirror says I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment