Tuesday, February 18, 2014

You Down With DPP?

I was at the gym the other morning and the song "OPP" played in the middle of the workout.  I know all the words to this song, and can probably sing it from start to finish without the music.  But there was a time when I had to do a different version of that song in front of lots of people.  I had completely forgotten about it until the other day.

In the original song, OPP stands for "Other People's Property".  The chorus starts with, "you down with OPP?  Yeah, you know me" and is basically about cheating on your partner.  It's not the most wholesome song.  For some reason when I was working at the IBM lab back in the nineties, our lab director liked there to be something at every lab meeting to get people excited.  One lab meeting we did a routine to the Addam's Family song.  There was an MC Hammer song we did a rap to one time and then there was the OPP song. 

I don't dance well.  I was okay as Wednesday Addams because I just walked around the stage but for the OPP song we had to both rap and dance and I am absolutely, positively sure I looked frightful on stage with my fellow lab-mates.

But back to the song title.  We never did the actual song, we changed the song around to fit some message that was current in the world of software development.  At that time we were heavily into something called the, Defect Prevention Process, or DPP.  I don't even remember what it was, other than a way to write better code and introduce less bugs, but I do clearly remember practicing and doing the rap in front of all my co-workers at our all-hands meeting. 

It was cringe-worthy.  I am glad there's no video of the event.

The Big Boy Update:  On the way home from gymnastics (or "nastics" as he calls it) my son saw a pickup truck on a flatbed tow truck.  He wanted to know why the truck was on top of the other truck.  I told him it must have broken down and it was being towed to the auto repair shop to get fixed.  As we turned to go home and the truck went straight, my son protested, saying, "I want to go to the auto repair shop.  I want to see that truck get fixed."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The demise of Buzzy Buzzy.  My daughter has had a very very fuzzy pink jacket since the first day of school when she was twelve-months-old.  It was big on her then, but it's much too small for her now.  I called it her super fuzzy jacket, but she translated that into, "buzzy buzzy".  We had to retire the jacket, much to her dismay.   She now has a new jacket and we're trying to figure out a nice name for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment