Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Hidden Candy Camp Mail

When I was young I went to a camp in the mountains.  It was a Quaker camp and there was a lot of focus on nature and self-sufficiency.  I didn't know anything about that as a child though; it just seemed like it was on a farm in the mountains. 

The food was delicious, we got to milk cows, pick things from the fields and go berry picking in the mountains.  I had a great time for the few years I went there.  My parents liked it because I was removed from refined sugar and processed foods for three weeks and apparently I came home a calmer, less-hyper child.

They had rules, one specifically was that no candy was allowed at camp.  Children had tried to get around this rule before because after the parents left your belongings were gone through (by you) with the counselors watching, to make sure you didn't have any candy.  I didn't have any candy because my parents weren't about to give me any in the first place.  Other kids got caught though.

During this three-week camping experience we'd get mail from time to time.   Packages were checked for appropriate content, which included the removal of any candy.  But for some reason, one of my cabin-mates had a mother that felt it was her child's right to have candy during camp.  Her mother hid a bag of candy inside a t-shirt and it missed getting caught at inspection. 

Our cabin-mate was really nice about it.  She was happy she got the candy, but she immediately decided it was for all of us to share.  I couldn't believe it, she was sharing her precious candy--that her mother smuggled into camp.  I really liked this girl. 

I have another fond memory of that year at camp and that was the book our cabin counselor introduced us to.  She was very kind and I have nothing but good memories of her.  Every night, she would read us a section of the book, A Wrinkle In Time.  It was such a good good book.  She had it timed so that we would finish the book on the last night of camp.  To this day, I believe I've read the book at least five times; it will always be a special book to me.

The Big Boy Update:  His legs are getting long.  He's short, but he's getting taller.  I went hunting for some hand-me-down pants in the closet yesterday and it appears we've hit another one of those in-between sizes, because the next size up is too long on him for now.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My iPad is clean.  My daughter made sure it was so by brushing it with her toothbrush this morning...with toothpaste.

1 comment:

  1. Hey my phone is really dirty can the little girl clean it for me???

    Aunt a

    ReplyDelete